Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (2019) - Fan too loud and works almost all the time after update to macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

After updating to macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 the fan of my MacBook Pro is way too loud and works almost non-stop. I'm worried that the machine is going to overheat.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 12, 2021 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 9:43 AM

Three other things to try:

1. Run the Activity Monitor to look for apps or processes that may be consuming excessive %CPU.
  2. Boot up your notebook in Safe Mode to see if the fans continue to run excessively.
  3. Run the Apple Diagnostics to rule out any hardware issues.

Ref:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 9:43 AM in response to viktoria132

Three other things to try:

1. Run the Activity Monitor to look for apps or processes that may be consuming excessive %CPU.
  2. Boot up your notebook in Safe Mode to see if the fans continue to run excessively.
  3. Run the Apple Diagnostics to rule out any hardware issues.

Ref:

May 25, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Tesserax

No.1 above resolved the issue (in a visit with Genius Bar;) ).

The trouble was with the Reminders app, which apparently has some historic issues from previous version of the OS. The app was constantly trying to sync between all my devices. When it was turned off on the MacBook, the fan is no longer working incessantly and the MacBook is not unreasonably hot.

Thank you

MacBook Pro (2019) - Fan too loud and works almost all the time after update to macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.