Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launch Netflix on AppleTV via Siri on HomePod

Evening all. I’m in the UK. Should I be able to ask Siri to ‘launch Netflix’ or better still ‘play The Last Kingdom on Netflix?’

My setup is an Apple TV 4K connected to a Samsung TV and a stereo pair of HomePods. When I ask Siri to do anything with Netflix, he just replies with ‘I can’t open apps here, sorry about that’.

I have a similar setup upstairs and that does exactly the same thing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

4200X,

Posted on May 13, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 3:49 PM

I don’t think this is possible via HomePod (with an exception - more on that below), but you can use the Siri Remote.

What you can do is press the microphone button on your Siri Remote and say ‘Open Netflix’.

You can also ask it to play a particular TV show. So if you press the mic button and say ‘Play Family Ties’, it will play that program picking up from where you’re up to. I haven’t tested this feature specifically with Netflix, but it does work very well with Apple TV+/iTunes content.

You can set-up a shortcut in the Shortcuts app to open apps on Apple TV. When you’re creating the shortcut use Apps > Apple TV Remote. Name the shortcut Open Netflix. Then when you tell your HomePods ‘Hey Siri, Open Netflix’ it will do this. Unfortunately there’s no option to set-up a shortcut to open or play a TV program or movie (something I would like to see them add).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 3:49 PM in response to staffordcox

I don’t think this is possible via HomePod (with an exception - more on that below), but you can use the Siri Remote.

What you can do is press the microphone button on your Siri Remote and say ‘Open Netflix’.

You can also ask it to play a particular TV show. So if you press the mic button and say ‘Play Family Ties’, it will play that program picking up from where you’re up to. I haven’t tested this feature specifically with Netflix, but it does work very well with Apple TV+/iTunes content.

You can set-up a shortcut in the Shortcuts app to open apps on Apple TV. When you’re creating the shortcut use Apps > Apple TV Remote. Name the shortcut Open Netflix. Then when you tell your HomePods ‘Hey Siri, Open Netflix’ it will do this. Unfortunately there’s no option to set-up a shortcut to open or play a TV program or movie (something I would like to see them add).

Launch Netflix on AppleTV via Siri on HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.