Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preparing to sell MacBook Pro, HD still shows data on disk

After erasing Macintosh HD in preparation for selling, I still see “Other Volumes” that shows 200 GB being used. Now what?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 13, 2021 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 11:09 AM

With Disk Utilities, you mean the floating window you get when you boot into recovery? That is what I was referring to.

And yes, you do need to download the OS - it does not install it if you turn off the computer when the download is finished. This is the last paragraph in the document linked to earlier:

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2021 11:09 AM in response to inspiredlogic

With Disk Utilities, you mean the floating window you get when you boot into recovery? That is what I was referring to.

And yes, you do need to download the OS - it does not install it if you turn off the computer when the download is finished. This is the last paragraph in the document linked to earlier:

May 14, 2021 8:42 AM in response to kaz-k

Thanks but that page of information was where I started, which led to my question regarding 200mb of data still showing even after erasing the disk. Since then, I erased everything I could find, then had to reinstall Big Sur. Once that was done, I setup it up again just to see if there was still data use. There wasn’t anything showing in applications, but in Disk Utility it still showed data as being used.

So, once again I deleted everything and restarted in recovery mode. Now when it starts up, I am prompted to reinstall High Sierra (not Big Sur). With that the only available option, I am reinstalling High Sierra, then hopefully can update to Big Sur.

We will see if I have to create a user just to update or not. I really don’t want to do that since I plan on selling the MacBook. Round and round we go!

May 14, 2021 8:48 AM in response to inspiredlogic

you should not "set it up" after downloading the OS. That will automatically result in the OS establishing a user account. And you do NOT want that.

Follow all of the steps until after you get to "download OS". As soon as the download is finished, hit the power button and turn off the device. That will result in the welcome page showing up when the new owner turns on the Mac and they can then set it up using their own info and Apple ID.

Doing that will result in having nothing on the drive except the OS. And do not forget to sign out of iCloud and Apple ID before doing anything else.

May 14, 2021 8:59 AM in response to babowa

Good advise, that’s what I would have done except that I had to see if the “200 GB” of data was truly gone. You have to be sure these days with ID theft so prevalent. So I setup up a dummy account thinking I could just reinstall Big Sur and then shut down without setting it up.

Now I’ve done something in error as the only thing that appears is requiring me to choose my network, then Disk Utility shows up and the only options are to restore from a backup or install a new macOS. Choosing to install the new macOS, High Sierra is the only choice and then going forward, the process quits stating that there was an error.

I’m now in a loop and don’t know where to go from here.

May 14, 2021 9:04 AM in response to inspiredlogic

If you set it up, it is set up - dummy or regular account.

And, how did you find this 200 GB of data showing? If you use Disk Utility in recovery to erase it, nothing should be there or you may not have chosen the correct volume or disk. Can you go back to recovery and choose Disk Utility? If so, choose the top most entry on left = that is your disk/hard drive and erase that.

May 14, 2021 9:48 AM in response to babowa

OK, so back to Recovery then Disk Utility. I think I’ve gone from bad to worse. Top left under Internal is AppleAPFSMedia and below that is APPLE SSD AP0512J Media. Then under Disk Images is Apple disk image Media and below that is OS X Base System.

I erased the top left item but nothing has changed. When restarting normally, it still comes up to what I already listed, choose network, then options to restore or install a new macOS.

There is an addition issue I haven’t mentioned. Somewhere during the process I was prompted to enter a password to lock down the firmware and since I couldn’t do anything else, I entered a password. Now when the MacBook is restarted, the first thing I see is a lock symbol and a field to enter the password.

I think I have truly screwed up. I long for the days when I simply inserted a DVD and the Notebook would startup reading the DVD and I could reinstall. So simple!

May 14, 2021 10:48 AM in response to inspiredlogic

In the end, I called Apple Support. What they had me do different is to not install a new macOS, but instead go to Disk Utilities and from there install the latest OS. I then connected to my home network and Big Sur installed from Apple’s servers. Problem finally solved.

I appreciate the responses from the community, it’s nice to know others are willing to offer suggestions.

Preparing to sell MacBook Pro, HD still shows data on disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.