Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell U2713H Monitor RGB vs YPbPr Modes

Hi, I just picked up an M1 Mac mini today and just setting everything up. I have plugged in a Dell U2713H monitor via HDMI into it. It defaults to a "Color Format" YPbPr mode. In this mode, the colors are fine, but the problem is that all text is pixelated and just images look grainy. If you read up about it, this is a really poor option, and is basically the way I understand it, is a legacy mode. If I change the "Input Color" format to RGB, which is the mode that you are supposed to use, the text and images are crisp, but the colours are completely messed up. I thought the colors are inverted, so I tried going to Accessibility->Display->Invert Colors, but the image was even more messed up, so in RGB mode, the colours aren't exactly inverted. Anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Posted on May 14, 2021 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 5:51 AM

Inverting Inverted colors will not work.

(things will never look or be right inverted)

If you are using the Dell supplied HDMI cable?

(then you may need to get a Premium Certified HDMI cable)

First go to the Dell Display menu > click Reset Color Settings and then select Standard or PC.

Next go to Apple > System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Display tab and

1. Uncheck "Invert colors"
  2. Uncheck "Increase contrast"
  3. Check "Reduce transparency"
  4. Set the Display contract: slider to "Normal"

Now go to Apple > System Preferences > Displays > Color tab and select one of the RGB or sRGB Profiles.

note: Color Profiles should also be tested on open Finder, Safari web pages, Photos, not just the Desktop Image.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Appleator

Inverting Inverted colors will not work.

(things will never look or be right inverted)

If you are using the Dell supplied HDMI cable?

(then you may need to get a Premium Certified HDMI cable)

First go to the Dell Display menu > click Reset Color Settings and then select Standard or PC.

Next go to Apple > System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Display tab and

1. Uncheck "Invert colors"
  2. Uncheck "Increase contrast"
  3. Check "Reduce transparency"
  4. Set the Display contract: slider to "Normal"

Now go to Apple > System Preferences > Displays > Color tab and select one of the RGB or sRGB Profiles.

note: Color Profiles should also be tested on open Finder, Safari web pages, Photos, not just the Desktop Image.

May 16, 2021 5:32 AM in response to Appleator

It is a major problem with M1 because all dell monitors and some other brands that connect to M1 over HDMI get YPBPR signal from M1 instead of getting RGB. Apple knows about this problem and only time will tell when they fix this.n I have S2721D and it is also YPBPR instead of RGB but I have no problem with text or colors. All looks good.

May 14, 2021 6:50 AM in response to den.thed

I found the solution. Well sort of. This solution no longer works on M1chips. You need to follow this guide (MacOS sees the display as a TV not an LCD monitor):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDNvpYGIl_4

The idea is to edit EDID file.

Does anyone know enough about this sort of stuff to make this work on an M1?

Here is another guide:

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2018/08/24/macbook-pro-external-monitor-display-problem/

Dell U2713H Monitor RGB vs YPbPr Modes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.