Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Face ID requirement on free app downloads in App Store?

I only want to have Face ID required when downloading Paid Apps but not Free Apps.

Every time I want to download a free app from the App Store, it requires me to:

• double click the power button
  • verify face

There seems to be no way to disable it for free apps, except removing Face ID entirely.

That would require me to:

• turn off Face ID for the entire App Store
  • leave off "Require Password" on "Free Downloads"

With this method, I can download free apps without any security measure, however I no longer have Face ID for the App Store.

-----

It's counter-intuitive to be able to turn off the password requirement but not the Face ID requirement for free apps.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the Face ID requirement for only free apps? Did I miss something?

Or is this something Apple overlooked?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 14, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:38 AM

It appears the Face ID is all or nothing. Either you use it for all purchases or you don't use it at all.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.3.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.4.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.5  HomePods, audioOS 14.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 1:38 AM in response to WongEsq

It appears the Face ID is all or nothing. Either you use it for all purchases or you don't use it at all.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.3.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.4.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.5.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.5  HomePods, audioOS 14.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

How to disable Face ID requirement on free app downloads in App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.