Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

W/Mac securities? Is third-party Protection still needed?

With all the securities Apple claims to be in their OS, do I still need an external Mac Protection program to protect my MacBook Pro from malware and viruses?

Thank you

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 14, 2021 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 5:38 PM

You don't need any additional software to protect your MacBook Pro.

However, your MacBook Pro might need additional software to protect itself from you. Apple allows the end user to override most of the built-in security protections. People who are easily tricked and scammed into installing malware might override the security protections because some web site tells them to. If this is happening to you repeatedly, then you might benefit from an extra layer of protection that is more difficult to bypass.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2021 5:38 PM in response to pjkinann

You don't need any additional software to protect your MacBook Pro.

However, your MacBook Pro might need additional software to protect itself from you. Apple allows the end user to override most of the built-in security protections. People who are easily tricked and scammed into installing malware might override the security protections because some web site tells them to. If this is happening to you repeatedly, then you might benefit from an extra layer of protection that is more difficult to bypass.

May 15, 2021 6:26 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

And causes you other problems.

I don’t doubt it. But for some people, that is simply not an option. Their choice is either malware or anti-malware.

One common malware tactic is a local network proxy that steals all internet transfers while slowing everything down. Ironically enough, some anti-malware tools do exactly the same thing. But who would you trust to see all of your network data?

W/Mac securities? Is third-party Protection still needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.