Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.3.1

hi,

I have a problem I can not install macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 because it tells me that I am not connected to the internet even though I am. any advice?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 15, 2021 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 2:25 AM

Can the computer surf the Internet without this error message outlined above. If Yes, how is the computer being used to download Big Sur 11.3.1 ? What version of macOS is presently installed ?

Sometimes the error messages are not too clear so one might try this Method below;

Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer. Restart computer in Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal. Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur. Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup. If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer. Now run the Installer.

Have found this method more reliable than the Software Update which is very iffy at best.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 2:25 AM in response to LisaHi22

Can the computer surf the Internet without this error message outlined above. If Yes, how is the computer being used to download Big Sur 11.3.1 ? What version of macOS is presently installed ?

Sometimes the error messages are not too clear so one might try this Method below;

Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer. Restart computer in Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal. Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur. Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup. If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer. Now run the Installer.

Have found this method more reliable than the Software Update which is very iffy at best.

May 15, 2021 4:43 AM in response to OhHeyForrest

Have a Theory or Rationalization - because Apple is in Transition from Intel to all In-House M-CPUs - there are issues supporting both Intel and M1 or M2 CPUs especially of updates to Big Sur. Thusly, the growing pains being experienced by many end Users. I remember when Apple was transitioning from G4 Motorola CPU to Intel - similar but not same issues were occurring.

As for Fifth Wipe and Re-install - would suggest getting the Full Installer - Create a Bootable Installer of Big Sur and boot to it ( Bootable Installer ) and Wipe the Entire Drive 100% Clean - nothing on the drive - then do a True Clean Install. Have found this more effective than anything else. No left-overs to bugger things up. Also, do not do a Migration Assist as that may re-introduce previous existing unresolved issue.

Big Sur 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.