Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enter line break using dictation on a Macbook Pro

When using dictation on Macbook Pro (2016) how do you get it to hit "Enter" or "Return" or to start a new line/create a line break?

I've tried saying next line or new line or line but that only puts an underscore or the words I say. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2021 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 8:31 AM

This used to drive me crazy, but I *think* that I now understand it.

"New line" is working for me on Big Sur, even though it does not appear to be working AS I'm speaking. The cursor appears to move forward just one space. However if I confidently continue to dictate, and then hit "return" when I'm done, the block of text is reformatted to insert the correct line breaks.

I uses dictation to write this message (with the few editing changes that always necessary). I hope that helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 8:31 AM in response to heyterran

This used to drive me crazy, but I *think* that I now understand it.

"New line" is working for me on Big Sur, even though it does not appear to be working AS I'm speaking. The cursor appears to move forward just one space. However if I confidently continue to dictate, and then hit "return" when I'm done, the block of text is reformatted to insert the correct line breaks.

I uses dictation to write this message (with the few editing changes that always necessary). I hope that helps.

May 16, 2021 5:36 AM in response to heyterran

When I look at the list of available commands in the Accessibility > Voice Control panel, I notice that some commands that were present early in the release cycle of Big Sur, are no longer included. There is one command that may do what you want now:

press <key name> key
press return key

Apparently, the new line command has been axed from the preceding available command list as has new paragraph —though you might these anyway. Here is an original list of dictation commands which may or may not be current.

How to enter line break using dictation on a Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.