Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading already purchased iTunes music now requires Apple Music subscription?

I am trying to play or download music to my computer that I have purchased from the iTunes store but I receive an error when I attempt to turn on "Sync Library" setting in the preferences panel. The error says:

To add songs and playlists to your Library, you must use Cloud Music Library.
Songs and playlists from this computer will merge into Cloud Music Library so you can listen across all your devices.

The options given are "Not Now" or "Merge Library"

When I click on "Merge Library" I receive another error message which says:

This account does not have iCloud Music enabled

I do not intent to pay an additional subscription fee for Apple Music to be able to listen to the music I have purchased via iTunes. Please advise how to bypass this issue.

Posted on May 16, 2021 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 3:06 AM

Hi,

You don’t need an Apple Music subscription to download music purchased from iTunes Store.

Read this Redownload music – Apple Support. This is latest doc - if you still have iTunes, follow the instructions for music.

You can go preferences > Restrictions and disable Apple. You also can’t use sync iCloud music library.

Jim

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 3:06 AM in response to lethal_force

Hi,

You don’t need an Apple Music subscription to download music purchased from iTunes Store.

Read this Redownload music – Apple Support. This is latest doc - if you still have iTunes, follow the instructions for music.

You can go preferences > Restrictions and disable Apple. You also can’t use sync iCloud music library.

Jim

Downloading already purchased iTunes music now requires Apple Music subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.