Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airprint not working on iPad Air3 and iPhone SE IOS 14.4.2

Both my iPad Air and iPhone can see my Canon Airprint printer but when I try to print I get a message that the printer is offline even though the printer is showing it is on the same network and connected. I have no problem using my wife's iPad Pro on IOS 14.4.1 to print to the printer so it is connected and Airprint is working. I have tried resetting the network settings on the iPad and rebooting it without any improvement. I have tried reconnecting the printer to the network even though it is working with my wife's device, again with no change. Has anybody any suggestions on what might be the problem with the iPad and iPhone?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on May 16, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 7:03 AM

Hi guys, Success!! I deleted all my devices from the network, did a factory reset for the router and connected everything back as suggested and AirPrint sprang into life from my iPad. Thanks for all your suggestions and help. Solution duly noted for any future problems.

9 replies

May 17, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Heathwaite

Hey Heathwaite,

It appears that your iPad Air and iPhone SE aren't able to use AirPrint anymore, as it will tell you that the printer is offline when trying to print. You've taken some great steps already. If you haven't already, we recommend restarting all devices involved again, including the router for your house and your Canon printer. After restarting, let us know if the issue continues.

Another step you can take is to update your devices to the latest software versions, as that may help too: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch You'll want to follow the step in that article on how to back up your devices before updating.

Take care!

May 17, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Heathwaite

Heathwaite wrote:
....The problem appears to be that Apple devices connected to the 5 Ghz WiFi band cannot communicate correctly with a printer on the 2.4 Ghz band. Is this a known problem (1) or is there an obscure setting on the devices bearing in mind I did a reset of network settings back to factory settings?
As most printers seem to be single band 2.4 Ghz, this seems something that needs resolving but how to do it (2)?

(1) No, not to my knowledge.

(2) Let Apple know your problem, providing a feedback here:--> Apple – Product Feedback

even if I (just an user like you) think it might act differently in different modem-routers. Not sure, but I'll investigate more deeply.

Thanks and regards

Giulio

May 17, 2021 3:17 PM in response to Heathwaite

As described, your Apple devices are very unlikely to have any bearing on the cause of your issue. The symptoms that you describe suggest that your WiFi Router may be unexpectedly failing to pass Apple Bonjour traffic between its 2.4GHz and 5Ghz network segments. Whether this is a fault, or Router configuration issue, can only be determined locally.

The Apple Bonjour protocol uses mDNS (Multicast DNS) UDP port 5353.

You may find that restart of your network components will resolve the problem. You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If you are unable to identify a configuration issue with your WiFi Router, you would be well advised to substitute your router for a different model - or to add an additional WiFi Access Point with a different Network Name (SSID)via a wired Ethernet connection and use the additional network for your printer and Apple devices.

May 17, 2021 11:44 AM in response to claire504

Thanks for the replies. I can confirm I did a reset of the router. I disconnected and reconnected the printer to the network. I disconnected and reconnected the iPad Air3 to the network and rebooted all the devices to no effect. My wife’s iPad Pro continued to AirPrint successfully through all this.

I have updated the iPad Air3 to iPadOS 14.5.1 which has made no difference.

However, after posting my query, I noticed that my wife’s IPad was connected to the 2.4 Ghz band on the router, the same as the printer but the iPad Air3 and IPhone SE were on the 5 Ghz band. I tried turning off the 5 Ghz band and connecting the iPad Air3 to the 2.4 Ghz band and it immediately printed using AirPrint. I then did the reverse and connected my wife’s iPad to the 5 Ghz band and had the same problem as before - it could see the printer but said it was offline if I tried to print.

The problem appears to be that Apple devices connected to the 5 Ghz WiFi band cannot communicate correctly with a printer on the 2.4 Ghz band. Is this a known problem or is there an obscure setting on the devices bearing in mind I did a reset of network settings back to factory settings?

As most printers seem to be single band 2.4 Ghz, this seems something that needs resolving but how to do it?

May 18, 2021 4:44 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Good morning Heathwaite,

Just to let you know that I have not been able to replicate your problem on my home wifi network.

I have a Vodafone Station Revolution, to which are connected: an old Epson WF-2630 printer (2.4GHz), an iPhone XR (5GHz), a Windows laptop (2.4GHz), a Windows PC (Ethernet). I invited a friend who has 2 iPads (an Air 4th gen and a Pro 3rd gen), which automatically connected to my wifi network, at 5GHz.

During testing, we forcibly changed (twice) the connections of all devices from 5 to 2.4GHz (and vice versa, except my printer which only has 2.4GHz).

The printer was always "visible and reachable" via Airprint from all devices.

Thanks for your attention.

Giulio

May 18, 2021 8:45 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thanks for trying. Following the reply from Lotus Pilot I am going to try a rest of my network My router is a BT Smarthub2 with a connection to a power line adaptor providing Ethernet connection for my PC, my HiFi (for AirPlay) and a PVR. I am going to delete all the devices from the router and start again with the iPad first. If the problem persists then it seems to point to the router and BonJour processing so it’s over to BT.

Airprint not working on iPad Air3 and iPhone SE IOS 14.4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.