Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you retrieve accidentally deleted messages?

I need to retrieve messages from my phone for a pending legal matter; I was in such a fluster that I accidentally deleted them. How do I recover them?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 16, 2021 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 2:51 PM

Go to Settings/[your name]/icloud. Is the switch for messages ON? If it is there is no way to recover deleted messages.

If it is OFF and you have a backup that was made before the messages were deleted you can restore that backup. Doing so will overwrite everything on your phone, not just those specific messages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 2:51 PM in response to DelilahDee

Go to Settings/[your name]/icloud. Is the switch for messages ON? If it is there is no way to recover deleted messages.

If it is OFF and you have a backup that was made before the messages were deleted you can restore that backup. Doing so will overwrite everything on your phone, not just those specific messages.

How can you retrieve accidentally deleted messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.