Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all data is gone can I get it back?

my MacBook was having some weird issues so I reinstalled the OS from recovery mod hoping it would fix it. it fixed those issues but it also deleted all my files even though last time I used recovery mode it kept them. I don't have a time machine backup as I don't have anywhere to store one. is there any way to get my files back or do I need to restart the hours of work I had started?

Posted on May 16, 2021 7:27 PM

7 replies

May 16, 2021 11:23 PM in response to Apple_Collector44

By doing the restore, you have wiped everything that was on your hard drive and started new. This has deleted everything that you had on your MacBook. Without having a Time Machine backup or any other backup of that data, you have lost all that data. A good rule of thumb is to always plan for the unexpected and the worst-case scenario. It's not a matter of if something is going to break, it's a matter of when. From what you have stated has happened, I'm sorry to say that you have lost your data and that you aren't going to be able to get it back.

May 18, 2021 1:37 AM in response to Apple_Collector44

Were you running macOS 10.15 Catalina or macOS 11.x Big Sur and reinstalled one of these two operating systems? If so did you by any chance reinstall macOS to the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume instead of the "Macintosh HD" volume? If you check in Disk Utility do you see multiple APFS volumes including a third one labeled "Macintosh HD - Data - Data"? This is a clear indication that you installed macOS to the wrong volume. I don't know what the macOS installer would have done to the existing "Users" folder on that volume. It may still be there so you could in theory use Migration Assistant to migrate the user account(s) to the new volume. Then you can attempt to fix things, but I would suggest first making a backup so you don't lose your data. If this is the case I can provide some more tips (I just posted instructions to another thread yesterday).

However, if you used Disk Utility to first erase the drive, then your data is most likely permanently gone even if your laptop uses a hard drive because the much of the data was likely overwritten by the install. If the laptop uses an SSD and you erased the drive, then the data most certainly is permanently destroyed due to how SSDs work.

You should always have frequent and regular backups. FYI, it is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. With some USB-C Macs you may permanently lose your data if anything happens to the Logic Board or the T2 security chip. There are so many ways to lose your data on the recent Macs (many more than older Macs). There is no excuse not to have a backup since Apple provides the Time Machine backup software for free with macOS. All you need to do is supply a backup drive. The more important your data, then the more copies/backups you should have.

May 16, 2021 11:28 PM in response to Apple_Collector44

You stated in your question that you reinstalled the OS. That is a restore, once you do that, it will reinstall the OS and remove everything that was on your drive. If you can't find them, they have been removed. If they were just files, you can look on the Hard Drive where they were stored and still be able to find them, but if you can't find them they have been removed and you won't be able to get them.

all data is gone can I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.