Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong messages dates after using "Moving to iOS" procedure

After using this procedures, the messages (SMS) all appear to have the date of the restart of the phone. Meaning that even very old conversations look like they were received a few minutes ago. Even after multiple reboots, the message history appears to have been received at the time of the boot. Anyone has a solution for this ?

I have used the procedure here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196. This is the result after using it.

Posted on May 17, 2021 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 9:29 AM

Well... If it is the same as it was in my case:

1) Switch your Android completely to English (USA) language and region (Los Angeles)

2) Reboot your Android

3) Initialize your iPhone with English (USA) language and region (Los Angeles)

4) Move your data with the Move to iOS app

Now your messages should have the same timestamp as on your Android. Finally you can switch your iPhone to your individual language and region.

Apple knows about this bug (as I created a case for this issue some months ago), but they don't seem to be interested in solving this issue. Quite bad support performance.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 9:29 AM in response to Dalwy

Well... If it is the same as it was in my case:

1) Switch your Android completely to English (USA) language and region (Los Angeles)

2) Reboot your Android

3) Initialize your iPhone with English (USA) language and region (Los Angeles)

4) Move your data with the Move to iOS app

Now your messages should have the same timestamp as on your Android. Finally you can switch your iPhone to your individual language and region.

Apple knows about this bug (as I created a case for this issue some months ago), but they don't seem to be interested in solving this issue. Quite bad support performance.

May 18, 2021 7:15 AM in response to Dalwy

Hi Dalwy,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help provide any information that may be helpful with the dates of your messages. There is not a way to change the dates of messages on your iPhone. You could try transferring the data one more time using that resource you came from. It's important to ensure that both devices, as well as their apps, are up to date first.

Have a nice day!

Jun 6, 2021 4:49 AM in response to WhiteBerry

Hi

Thank you both for your answers but the issue (bug) may have been misunderstood.

Each imported conversation appeared as if it had a « floating » time. Say I open the conversation at 6pm, it appears to have had the latest message at 6pm and gets promoted as the top of the message list. Then I look at other messages which themselves get a new time stamp…. If I reopen the same conversation afterward at say 7pm it now appears to have the latest message at 7pm…. And so on for all imported conversations…. New conversations on another hand get the proper time stamp of time of the latest received message.

I did manage to solve this « floating » time issue by disabling then reenabling the iCloud backup of conversations, once downloaded from iCloud, no more floating time. Only unsolved issue is that those conversation now have the iCloud backup time as a time stamp… not ideal but not a big deal.

Still annoying bug for an « official » piece of software from apple….

Jun 6, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Dalwy

Yea, I'm sorry. That was definitely a misunderstanding.

As I am (or was) new to Apple, I'm quite surprised how bad their software-quality is :(

If you dig deeper into iOS (or if you only want to transfer simple text messages from an Android with Apples official app) it's astonishing to see how bad things work (or don't work) and that iOS isn't intuitive at all. Even the decommissioned Windows 10 Mobile operating system was more intuitive than iOS is.

Wrong messages dates after using "Moving to iOS" procedure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.