Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set the scroll direction for mouse and trackpad independently of each other?

I want my Macbook's trackpad to scroll inversely from my fingers' movement (what MacOS calls "natural") but also have my mouse wheel to scroll in the same direction as my fingers' scrolling direction.

At the moment I can only make it work for one of them, because this setting seems to be shared across both devices, so it's always a hassle no matter what I choose.

Am I missing something?

Posted on May 17, 2021 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 9:28 AM

Howdy,

No, you are not missing anything. The Mouse preferences and the Trackpad preferences share the same preference file and setting for scroll direction.

The File: .GlobalPreferences.plist

Note it starts with a period so it's normally hidden.

The Setting: com.apple.swipescrolldirection

As you have seen, changing one changes the other since it's the same Preference.

Natural scrolling, box checked = Track the Contents

NOT Natural scrolling, box unchecked = Track the Scroll Bar

ivan

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 9:28 AM in response to patoezequiel

Howdy,

No, you are not missing anything. The Mouse preferences and the Trackpad preferences share the same preference file and setting for scroll direction.

The File: .GlobalPreferences.plist

Note it starts with a period so it's normally hidden.

The Setting: com.apple.swipescrolldirection

As you have seen, changing one changes the other since it's the same Preference.

Natural scrolling, box checked = Track the Contents

NOT Natural scrolling, box unchecked = Track the Scroll Bar

ivan

How can I set the scroll direction for mouse and trackpad independently of each other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.