Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" and delete those duplicate files?

I want to free up some disk space and only maintain my personal library with iTunes' library pointing at those original locations.

I noticed that if I delete individual files from iTunes Media folder, I have to locate it again. Is there a way to automate this process?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 17, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 9:55 AM

As given there isn't a way to automatically relink iTunes to the original sources. When using the Copy to... option it doesn't maintain a record of where things came from. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for general advice on organizing the library. I don't suppose you would consider archiving and then deleting the originals as an alternative strategy? I do have a script called FindTracks that can potentially be used to repair broken links after the fact, but it requires more effort and might need tweaking if your original files are in a non-standard layout.

tt2

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 9:55 AM in response to helil

As given there isn't a way to automatically relink iTunes to the original sources. When using the Copy to... option it doesn't maintain a record of where things came from. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for general advice on organizing the library. I don't suppose you would consider archiving and then deleting the originals as an alternative strategy? I do have a script called FindTracks that can potentially be used to repair broken links after the fact, but it requires more effort and might need tweaking if your original files are in a non-standard layout.

tt2

May 18, 2021 11:33 AM in response to helil

Hello helil,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand not wanting duplicates in your iTunes Music files, but you don’t want to uncheck the Copy files to iTunes.

There is a perfect article to help you with getting rid of the duplicates. Take a look at Find items and duplicates in iTunes library or playlist and go to “Find duplicates”. It will help so how to easily find and delete the duplicates.

Let us know if you have questions.

Cheers!

May 20, 2021 5:37 AM in response to barberlives123

Thanks for your answer.

I'd like to know why I "don’t want to uncheck the Copy files to iTunes", as it is an option in the prefs.

Also, I don't have duplicates in my library, what I got is redundancy in my hard disk: my personal music folder (which is very tidy, BTW) and this subset of songs I chose to drag to iTunes' library and, consequently, iPhone, that gets a copy in this same HD, and that's what I'd like to remove.

Cheers

Can I uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" and delete those duplicate files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.