Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to format an external HDD?

I have an external HDD formally used with a Windows PC. Id like to format this so i can use it normally with my MacBook. I can browse files using the finder. I can't delete anything, create anything, nor do i see any options to format this external drive. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 18, 2021 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 10:11 AM

Choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu, open the Disk Utility, and reformat or erase it. Alternativel, instll software on the Mac enabling it to write to NTFS volumes.

In the event the drive is formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, try running a disk repair tool on it.

(198244)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 10:11 AM in response to CLTdude01

Choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu, open the Disk Utility, and reformat or erase it. Alternativel, instll software on the Mac enabling it to write to NTFS volumes.

In the event the drive is formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, try running a disk repair tool on it.

(198244)

Trying to format an external HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.