Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One apple ID and two phones; how do I change one phone to new apple id?

My wife and I have two IPhones with the same Apple ID. When you call one number both phones ring if the name is in both our contact list. We both have separate email accounts on our phone, but text and calls are tied to both phones. How do I change one phone without losing the contacts and apps?

Posted on May 18, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 2:19 PM

Have her create her own Apple ID. Then have her log out of your ID on her phone, and then, log in with her new ID.

Ref: Create Your Apple ID - Apple Support

Note that any app/music purchases made with your ID will need to be repurchased with her new ID. They cannot be transferred.

4 replies

May 18, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Neophytetoad

Go to Settings/[Your Name]/iCloud and turn off all of the sync switches; choose to keep the contents for each on your phone. Then tap “Apple ID” at the top left to go back to the Apple ID screen, scroll to the bottom and tap Sign Out. You will need your password to do so.

Next, create a new Apple ID, or if the two of you have separate Apple IDs log in with the other one. You can then turn on sync switches to sync to the new iCloud.

You can create a Family Sharing plan to share selective content and purchases→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

May 18, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you to both for your recommendations! I ended up resetting the iphone and then creating her a new Apple ID and now the next question is how do I pull over the pics, contacts, apps and text messages from her previous phone (iphone8) which are stored in my apple id under itunes (as well as in the icloud)?. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

May 18, 2021 4:33 PM in response to Neophytetoad

Is the iPhone 8 the phone you just changed, or is it a different phone from either yours or your wife’s?

Getting the content from your Apple ID to hers is almost impossible. That’s why I said to first turn off all of the sync switches, before creating the new Apple ID. Then when you log in with the new Apple ID all of the data will still be on the phone.

One apple ID and two phones; how do I change one phone to new apple id?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.