Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud - Deleting a file in iCloud, deletes the file in my Mac too

I don't know what I have done. Finder started to copy all my documents to iCloud and now when I try to delete a file in iCloud, it is also deleted in my Mac.

How is this sync stopped? I want to keep my documents in my Mac. I don't want to touch nothing because I have just read that someone tried to unsync the iCloud thing, and all his documents were lost.

Help please, I fear for my files.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 18, 2021 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 1:26 PM

Hey there, ReneJohnsMilchmann!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your files are saved in iCloud, and when you delete in iCloud it deletes from your Mac as well. We can help!

This is expected when you sync with iCloud. If you want to make copies of these files and save them to your Mac, we recommend following the steps in this resource:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

You can make changes to your settings for iCloud by going to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 1:26 PM in response to ReneJohnsMilchmann

Hey there, ReneJohnsMilchmann!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your files are saved in iCloud, and when you delete in iCloud it deletes from your Mac as well. We can help!

This is expected when you sync with iCloud. If you want to make copies of these files and save them to your Mac, we recommend following the steps in this resource:

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

You can make changes to your settings for iCloud by going to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.

Take care!

iCloud - Deleting a file in iCloud, deletes the file in my Mac too

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.