Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete Time Machine backups in Big Sur?

My Time Machine says it's full and can't complete the backup, and isn't deleting old backups to make room for it. I've tried excluding some folders with big video files that I don't need backed up in time machine, but it's still not backing up. I tried to delete files manually in time machine, but in Big Sur, the gear icon that was in previous versions has been replaced by a circle with 3 dots across it on the inside. When I'm in Time Machine, that dropdown menu no longer has an option to delete backups, and right clicking on a file or folder in Time Machine also doesn't have an option to delete that backup anymore.

Is Big Sur missing this function?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 19, 2021 3:47 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 19, 2021 5:01 PM in response to tbirdvet

Yes! It's really confusing why Big Sur is not deleting old backups or giving me any options to delete them. In the past when this has happened it also gave me the option to start a whole new backup. I can't start a clean Time Machine backup with a new drive, because I'm using Apple's AirPort Time Capsule as my wifi and backup. Seems Big Sur is missing an essential user function to be able to manually delete, or at least in the system preferences to request a clean backup. Thanks for responding!

May 19, 2021 7:08 PM in response to MissSuperYellow

There is a point when it can no longer delete old backups.

When it says it is deleting "old" backups, it is deleting backups of files that no longer exist on your Mac. It doesn't duplicate files that have not changed, so there isn't any space taken up at each backup if the file has not changed.

If you are at the point that it cannot free space, you might as well erase and start over. Time Machine is not an archival backup in that it keeps a copy of everything you once had on your Mac. It is only designed to provide a copy of the current state of your Mac's drives. If it cannot free any more free space, all historical data should have been deleted already.

If the backup drive is a spinning hard drive, then it must make contiguous space available to make more backups. If the only space available is scatter about the drive, it may not be able to write a backup even though there may be enough space scattered about the drive.

Jun 9, 2021 3:21 PM in response to MissSuperYellow

I Have this issue too. I'm using a trashcan 6,1 12 core maxxed and I use it professionally working intimately with many peoples' intellectual property so it very important to me. But TM is just hosed once it decides i don't have enough space on my TM partition, it does not let me continue where to 8500 GB of data left off. Took me 20 minutes to send the 2021-06-09-160510.inProgress file to the trash. But i did, and now its still doing same ishlez le sigh

How do I delete Time Machine backups in Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.