Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We got a replacement iphone from apple via apple care and the apple rep said we now owned the old phone, they did not want it back. Now I go to ebay to sell it and its listed as stolen. Who do I contact to either get the removed or send the old phone

Now I went on ebay to sell it and its listed as stolen. Who do I contact to either get the stolen removed or send the old phone to? Thanks much for any help!

iPhone XS

Posted on May 19, 2021 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 3:51 AM

Sadly, that is the way it works.

When your phone is replaced, the phone it replaced is listed in Apple's database as a "service replacement."

As a service replacement it can be used, but I don't know if it can be activated on another account.

What likely makes it appear stolen to eBay is the fact that Apple's database shows that it is indeed a phone that has been replaced by Apple Service.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 3:51 AM in response to galecr

Sadly, that is the way it works.

When your phone is replaced, the phone it replaced is listed in Apple's database as a "service replacement."

As a service replacement it can be used, but I don't know if it can be activated on another account.

What likely makes it appear stolen to eBay is the fact that Apple's database shows that it is indeed a phone that has been replaced by Apple Service.

May 19, 2021 6:33 PM in response to galecr

Where did you get the phone originally? If you bought it used, it likely was stolen. That happens all the time. And if it was listed as stolen, you can't do anything with the phone except recycle it. You'd have to know the original owner who had the phone and listed it as stolen. If you don't know them, Apple won't help you and we can't help you.

May 19, 2021 8:51 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you for your reply. We bought it from the apple store on line when it first came out. I have the sales slip. Should I venture to that mad house called an apple store in person? Thought I would try the apple care folks as they handled the claim when it was damaged and sent us a replacement. Said we could sell the old phone so I finally got around to putting it on eBay today and all heck broke loose with this chimaera thing. It flew off our car (put on the roof and accidentally forgotten so it landed on the road and the screen is now all green.). The body is perfect and I think it’s such a waste to not give it a second life. Thanks to the eBay members that want it, I now know it’s hostage by some web entity.

We got a replacement iphone from apple via apple care and the apple rep said we now owned the old phone, they did not want it back. Now I go to ebay to sell it and its listed as stolen. Who do I contact to either get the removed or send the old phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.