Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is it safe to wipe and delete old device so the new device works properly

If I wipe and delete my old device, will Icloud back up my new device?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on May 19, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 6:32 PM

You can use the following procedure to clear your old iPhone and it will not affect iCloud or your new iPhone: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But iCloud should be able to backup your new iPhone whether or not you have done that yet. If you are having an issue with lack of space on iCloud (or even if you’re not) you can erase the backup of the old iPhone on iCloud to free some space. See instructions in the backup section of Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 6:32 PM in response to bbjo

You can use the following procedure to clear your old iPhone and it will not affect iCloud or your new iPhone: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But iCloud should be able to backup your new iPhone whether or not you have done that yet. If you are having an issue with lack of space on iCloud (or even if you’re not) you can erase the backup of the old iPhone on iCloud to free some space. See instructions in the backup section of Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

When is it safe to wipe and delete old device so the new device works properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.