Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upcoming Apple Music Lossless and iCloud music library

Hi, wondering if anyone knows how the following situation will be handled when the new Apple Music lossless offering is available.

I have many tracks that have been ripped from my CD collection in Apple Lossless format. Many are obscure and do not match to Apple Music. When the new lossless offering becomes available I am wondering if these tracks will play as lossless on all my i devices after uploading to iCloud music library?

Currently, I have to copy them to every device manually but don't have the storage space to keep it all on hand. It would be great if I can stop the manual copy and just stream lossless from the iCloud library.

Posted on May 21, 2021 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 12:08 AM

Well looks like Apple Lossless uploads are not supported. I created a test file at 24/192 on iMac in ALAC, uploaded it to iCloud Music Library, then played on my iPhone using a 192 capable DAC. The "192" light on the DAC does not come on, though I do see this light up when playing 24/192 directly from the Apple Music streaming catalog. Bummer.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 12:08 AM in response to horrorbiz

Well looks like Apple Lossless uploads are not supported. I created a test file at 24/192 on iMac in ALAC, uploaded it to iCloud Music Library, then played on my iPhone using a 192 capable DAC. The "192" light on the DAC does not come on, though I do see this light up when playing 24/192 directly from the Apple Music streaming catalog. Bummer.

May 22, 2021 8:19 AM in response to horrorbiz

Hello horrorbiz! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you're looking information about lossless audio in Apple Music. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help.

Lossless is not yet available but is coming soon. You can learn more about this feature and see what information is currently available, here: About lossless audio in Apple Music

Make it a great day!

May 24, 2021 7:35 PM in response to MoonJ.

When I asked a rep they said yes I am also hoping this is true. I am also hoping once they get the bugs worked out in the streaming service they make it to where you can also buy lossless files in the iTunes Store in the future. There is still a market for buying music people just look elsewhere like hdtracks and Qobuz because they sell better quality music than apple does.

Jun 25, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Solty34

It to me this service has some work to do. Why would they upgrade the streaming service and not upgrade iTunes or iTunes Match in the process which is involved with Apple Music because thats where we store our music and in order to experience lossless audio you have to be a member of the streaming service which I don’t think this is fair and also just adding lossless doesn’t “change music forever” not ever spacial audio. Maybe upgrade the other services you provide that other companies that supple music don’t.

Upcoming Apple Music Lossless and iCloud music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.