Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how best to find and delete duplicate files?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 21, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 9:08 AM

Hello woodbilder,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you're looking for an automated way to find duplicate files when searching iCloud Drive, and we'd like to do what we can to help.

There is not an automated way to search for duplicate files. However, there is a way that may help with finding them. You posted in the iCloud for iOS device, but indicated you're using an iMac, so we'll cover both devices.

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

You can use the "Sort by" to sort by added date or alphabetical order.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2021 9:08 AM in response to woodbilder

Hello woodbilder,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you're looking for an automated way to find duplicate files when searching iCloud Drive, and we'd like to do what we can to help.

There is not an automated way to search for duplicate files. However, there is a way that may help with finding them. You posted in the iCloud for iOS device, but indicated you're using an iMac, so we'll cover both devices.

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

You can use the "Sort by" to sort by added date or alphabetical order.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care!

May 23, 2021 7:21 AM in response to woodbilder

Hi woodbilder,

Thank you for clarifying. We do hope that you feel better and are back to normal soon.

As it turns out there isn't an Apple app which can search for duplicate files for you.

However, Finder > Documents is the best way to look for duplicate files, as you can sort them by name, or even date created/last modified.

Check out this page in the macOS User Guide:

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac

Cheers!

May 22, 2021 3:52 PM in response to woodbilder

No, sorry. I mistyped a few things that you homed in on after my returning from a trip to the local ER and was a little confused at 80, but apologize.

I want an app that will identify (list) duplicates but then wait for the user to selectively delete them. Perhaps that depends on one's definition of "auto" but it's not mine.

I am trying to clear out dupes from my iMac Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.