Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4K (2021) - TV App missing all Library content

Just picked up 2 of the new 2021 AppleTV 4K devices to replace 2 of the previous-generation 4K models for my home.

Set them both up with the quick setup w/ iPhone, got them set up quick and easy.

HOWEVER

When I launched the TV app, the section for LIBRARY (which usually houses all my iTunes purchases) is completely empty and only shows the section for Family Purchases (see attached photo). Same issue on BOTH AppleTVs that I setup, so I figured maybe I did something wrong.

Reset one of the AppleTVs, did manual setup instead of the iPhone/automatic setup. When everything was complete, the issue was exactly the same. Tried signing out and back into iCloud, no dice.

Thought it was an issue with maybe the device not being authorized to play my purchased content, but when I go into the Movies app and look under Purchases, it shows all my purchases and allows me to play them (see photo below), so I know it is only the TV app at fault.

(this image keeps inserting as upside-down for some reason and i'm not sure how to flip it, my apologies)

Has anyone else had this strange issue? I'm kind of lost on what to try next.

(FYI already tried on both 14.5 AND the 14.7 beta, same issue. Even tried making a NEW purchase to see if that would "refresh" it and nada)

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on May 21, 2021 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:51 AM

BUMPing again, it seems to be a larger issue with Library content loading for users with large Libraries of purchased items, as many seem to be reporting it as well on this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/nkox06/library_doesnt_work_on_new_atv/?sort=new

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 9, 2021 6:59 AM in response to JonDiesel

Yeah I was told by my Apple support agent it's a known issue and is with engineering -- possibly to due with how large libraries are cached initially. He's got a couple of similar requests in his workflow.

My support ticket is more or less in limbo he said until engineering identifies the problem. Don't call us, we'll call you is the where I'm at now.

May 22, 2021 1:48 PM in response to JonDiesel

Hello JonDiesel,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! We understand you are looking for some information about the library on your old Apple TVs moving to your new Apple TVs. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

With Apple TV, you mentioned that you are still able to play your past purchases, but they just aren't showing in the Library tab? With the Apple TV app being used, you don't need to redownload them like on other devices. We have information on redownloading purchases on different devices here:

Redownload TV shows and movies in the Apple TV app

We would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly if you encounter issues with downloading shows to your new Apple TV. You can use the following link to reach out: Get Support

Best Regards.

Jun 23, 2021 6:25 PM in response to CMNZ

tried to reply back to my open support ticket to ask what the status of this issue is and if there is any kind of fix coming yet or if they're working on it or something.

lovely reply back FROM apple support that told me to CONTACT apple support for assistance. nice. guess we're a joke at this point, cant even get a useful response on an issue clearly being had by a number of people.

May 22, 2021 2:47 PM in response to JonDiesel

I have this issue as well -- I am the owner/organizer of my family's iTunes/ATV purchases, and the library will not load on the new Apple TV 4K under the TV app.

Store settings are set to my iTunes ID. Logging in-and-out of said ID, doesn't change a thing.

These settings were identical to my previous Apple TV 4K, which behaved normally -- and is still behaving normally after I swapped it back in place of the new model.

May 22, 2021 2:57 PM in response to brianj123

I am aware the Library does not "transfer" but when I am signed in I should see all my purchased content under the Library tab of the TV app. Instead I only see what is in the first picture of my first post.

I know it shouldn't look like this because I had 4 other AppleTV 4Ks that all show it correctly, and now with the two NEW 2021 models I purchased it does not show my library correctly. Wondering if this is a bug with this model of AppleTV (especially since the other commenter below CMNZ has the same issue). Not sure if Library size has something to do with it and maybe it's timing out loading all the content but I have like over 2000 items in my Library.

May 24, 2021 7:50 PM in response to JonDiesel

BUMPing again because I cant even put in a support request, as it for the past few days only says:

"We’re sorry, Apple Support is currently experiencing high demand and has limited availability. Please try again later for more options."

I really don't want to have to return these two brand new AppleTV 4Ks but for what reason could they not work correctly when the previous ones work correctly?

May 27, 2021 6:14 PM in response to JonDiesel

Same here, have had this issue on and off for about a year now. At first only affected my MacBook, but now it’s affecting all my devices. Not sure what’s going on, but it seems to be only affecting my Apple devices. If I log into the TV App on my PlayStation/Xbox or smart tv. All my content loads there.

Let me know if your content loads on other devices other than Apple ones, I’d be interested to see if you’re having the same outcome.

May 27, 2021 10:55 PM in response to danielswearsprada

My issue has only happened with this new model AppleTV4K. All other devices with the Apple TV App (iPad Pro, multiple Macbooks, Sony PS5, LG TV OS, etc etc etc) have worked fine and load all my content.

I got a call from an Apple support rep about this and we've been going back and forth about it trying to figure out what it is, but so far can only confirm that my particular issue is only on this new device (on both of them that I bought).

AppleTV 4K (2021) - TV App missing all Library content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.