Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I determine what speed on my devices I am actually getting?

I recently upgraded my internet speed to 1gbps and am using a Linksys MX4000 mesh wifi system to connect to my devices. Using the Linksys app on my iPhone 12 it indicates I am getting ~700mbps but when I use the www.bandwidthplace.com to test my speed both on my phone, and on an M1 Mac mini it indicate I am only getting ~65mbps.

How can I determine what speed on my devices I am actually getting? If the reading from the router is correct (i.e. 700mbps) and the wifi is only 65mbps is there a setting or something I need to configure?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 22, 2021 4:26 AM

20 replies

May 22, 2021 12:21 PM in response to Michael Coon

Try testing using OOkla SpeedTest. There is an app

in both he MacApp Store and the iOS App Store

or you can access the website and use the web version.

The advantage of this one is that you can select from

a variety of different servers to test from since not all servers

will be full speed all the time and some will be consistently

faster tan others.

Also, do you have the mesh with multiple units or just

using a single MX4000? If multiple, back of and just test

with the master as close to it as you can get and then

start backing off and then start to add satellites for

optimum speed through out your area.

One last thing, what is your environment like

(urban apartment complex, suburban development,

or country environments)? Reason for asking is that

interference can wreak havoc on data signals. While

initial link connection speed is a simple handshake,

transmitting complex data back and forth in a high

interference environment can have many corrupt

packets and many retransmit requests back to the

internet source.

May 22, 2021 12:28 PM in response to woodmeister50

I did try the other suggested speed test site (ookla) had slightly better results (~10%) but no where near the 700mbps. I did spend 2-3 hours on the line with Linksys, reset and reconfigured the system and now I get in the 200-300 mbps range, but but ISP router is still providing a solid 700 mbps so a ~60% degradation of signal. Given that I have several devices connected they asked that I run various test over a couple of days and then connect back with them.

May 22, 2021 12:48 PM in response to Michael Coon

Degradation is to be expected in a mesh system because even though it’s giving a strong signal to the mini, it doesn’t have similar towards the router. So it buffers and throttles depending on what’s being thrown at it and how fast. By all means optimize as much as possible but lower your expectations. You might have already reached it’s limits…

Cheers

May 22, 2021 3:46 PM in response to hcsitas

Respectfully I disagree, I am in a single family home with only a neighbor on either side. If I am get 700mbps to the mesh system, I should not be seeing a 60% degradation in the speeds, 30% maybe but not 60%. This is a three unit system for a 2 story house. One unit is upstairs, one downstairs, and one in the garage none more than line of sight 50 ft apart. Each unit is "rated for a 3000 sq ft houses and 45 devices so to me there is some sort of system configuration issue that's causing the degradation. One thing I am going to check is if the units are interfering with each other (i.e. drop down to two units).

One thing I am not sure of is if there is a relationship between signal strength and speed. I have a strong (5ghz) signal through out the house but have read/heard that 5Ghz does not have the range that 2.4Ghz does which is why I have the three mesh units. So even with a strong signal can I have a slow speed?

May 22, 2021 9:18 PM in response to Michael Coon

If you have a strong signal without the mesh units, you don’t need them. The mesh units take a medium/weak signal at the border of the main unit and beam it to extend it to the devices in the extended section. That’s not the same as having a strong signal from the unit, it’s more like breathing life into the signal at its edges so more devices can drink into it. In other words, irrespective of what the marketing says, meshing is a compromise and comes with throughput costs. There’s no working around tit (other than to wire your house for Ethernet, which if possible, do strongly consider).

Summary: Try removing the mesh units and test with the original strong signal. If it’s an improvement, stick with it, if not, use the mesh units but with lower expectations of throughput.

May 22, 2021 10:55 PM in response to hcsitas

The ISP modem/router does not provide a good signal throughout the house, there are several dead spots all together and weak signals. I switched to a mesh system from using an Apple Extreme with two other extremes as Wi-Fi extenders after being told the mesh would provide better coverage and speeds.

The mesh has provided much better signal strength in all areas. With my old service (100mbps) I had fair consistent speeds of about 65 to 75 mbps.

Agree Ethernet throughout would be best solution just not possible.

so stay with mesh, or switch back to setup with extenders?

May 22, 2021 11:23 PM in response to Michael Coon

Yes, of course. Hard-wired lan feeds pure 1Gbps from the main router to the bridged routers in rooms which in turn offer pure WiFi AC to their assigned areas (pure because their backends are solid). Mesh is a compromise to re-beam weak WiFi signals from border points to extended sections. Since they’re working with weak signals on the backend (unlike LAN), their offered good signals to client devices are sort of fake (which get revealed upon testing as you’ve found out). Meshes extend range but not throughput.

May 23, 2021 3:55 AM in response to Michael Coon

There is a "mesh myth" that seems to be perpetuated by the industry

of high WiFi speeds everywhere (at least they don't say it's not true).

A satellite unit can only retransmit at the speed it receives, regardless

of how powerful it boosts the signal. So, all @hcsitas has been telling

you is very true.

The best way to achieve full WiFi speed throughout a home or any facility

would be with a main ethernet router wired with ethernet to WiFi

"access points" located at strategic points.

The whole mesh concept is more a convenience of setup than

it is of truly "high speed throughout".

May 23, 2021 5:07 AM in response to woodmeister50

The issue that confused me is with a 100mbs and the mesh system I was getting ~65mbps throughout the house. roughly a 35% throughput loss. With the upgrade in service I get 700mbps but only ~200 mbps at the devices a 70% loss of throughput. that does not make sense.

In working with Linksys, 5Ghz supports the higher speeds than 2.4 ghz which contributed to the original speeds of only ~65mbps. My system is now setup to provide the 5Ghz for the phones, computers, and Apple TVs, and 2.4ghz to all the other peripheral's, (doorbells, smart lighting, HomeKit devices, etc). This resulted in the speeds I am now seeing (~200mbps)

My conclusion based on the responses I have received, and reading more on the differences between 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz is the the degradation in 5Ghz is significantly greater than 2.4 Ghz, and wifi signal strength does not indicate/correlate to strong throughput.

How can I determine what speed on my devices I am actually getting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.