Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet port on new 24" imac

Where do you plug in your Ethernet cable on the new 24" iMac? All I see on the page below are two USB 3 ports and two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports.

https://www.apple.com/imac-24/specs/

Posted on May 22, 2021 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 1:44 PM

1. OK, proven.
  2. Heat? On my Mac, nothing compares in heat output to my GPU, esp. when it's doing video noise reduction. Not even close. The fans only come on when the GPU is cranked up, and you can feel the heat on the memory vent. It gets almost too hot to press your fingers firmly on! Used to be better. I assume it's due to a lot of dust accumulated over the years. I'll give you points on the bulk, however.
  3. I'm okay with it being on the floor. I'm just really surprised, as Apple likes neat appearance, and a power brick ain't that. Also, I didn't know it would be practical to include Ethernet connectivity across a power cord. I might prefer it on the Mac, but I'm not sure. I don't think that's a biggie.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

1. OK, proven.
  2. Heat? On my Mac, nothing compares in heat output to my GPU, esp. when it's doing video noise reduction. Not even close. The fans only come on when the GPU is cranked up, and you can feel the heat on the memory vent. It gets almost too hot to press your fingers firmly on! Used to be better. I assume it's due to a lot of dust accumulated over the years. I'll give you points on the bulk, however.
  3. I'm okay with it being on the floor. I'm just really surprised, as Apple likes neat appearance, and a power brick ain't that. Also, I didn't know it would be practical to include Ethernet connectivity across a power cord. I might prefer it on the Mac, but I'm not sure. I don't think that's a biggie.

May 22, 2021 11:58 AM in response to den.thed

All right, let me get this straight. I can purchase the base model of an iMac for $1299, and there is no Ethernet port for an internet connection? $1299 and no Ethernet port? One is supposed to use Wi-Fi? Do I have that right? (I mean anyone, at least I, would assume any desktop computer, esp. at that price, would already have an Ethernet port.)

Tech tip: You can move dock icons without using the mouse. Bring up the dock. Use the left/right arrow keys to select the icon. Then move it with Opt-L/R arrow!

May 22, 2021 12:13 PM in response to betaneptune

The new iMac 24” M1 has optional Ethernet available on the base model, with an upgraded power brick. Higher-end iMac 24” M1 models include the upgraded Ethernet-capable power brick. Other Ethernet adapters are available from Thunderbolt and USB, or via an add-on external dock. Quite commonly, folks use Wi-Fi for network connectivity—the included Wi-Fi 6 support uses 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz bands, and can be faster than Gigabit Ethernet.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

May 22, 2021 12:48 PM in response to MrHoffman

Power brick? It comes with a power brick? You mean that big brick thing in the power cord that sits on the floor? I'd be plugging my Ethernet cable into a power brick? Really?

I think I'd have to get a new router for Wi-Fi 6. I've had the same one for many years. Looks like at least six years old and it has 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, but not 6 GHz. So is that the same 6 as in Wi-Fi 6? It's a Fios Quantum Gateway from 2015 or earlier. Would I need a new router then? And would it really deliver 1 Gbps?

Tech tip: If you're camera keeps dying like mine does, use this secret Unix command in Terminal to recover it.

sudo killall VDCAssistant

May 22, 2021 1:26 PM in response to betaneptune

Wifi 6 - is a recent standard and yes you will probably need a new router. I have a wifi 6 mesh setup and I don't believe it actually transmits on the 6GHz band. It is a new method of transmitting over the air not a different band. I agree with Keith's post, I would much rather have the Ethernet jack in the power brick than on the back of the computer.

Paul

Ethernet port on new 24" imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.