Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo has taken over as my search engine

I have a Macbook Air, 2020, running OS X 11.3.1 (Big Sur). I have gone into Safari (14.1) preferences to changed my default search engine to Google, however the browser always comes up as Yahoo Search. "Google" is listed clearly as my selection from the dropdown menu. I have run Clean My Mac X, but am told at the end of the Malware search that there is an Adware that can not be removed for the following reason:

kCMMalwareLaunchAgentModelDomain error 101

The error indicates that there is a file in the Library/Application Support folder that couldn't be removed because I hadn't authorized the operation.

I have done some research, and see this is a "known" issue, but none of the "free" solutions suggested has worked. Has anyone else had the same issue, and how did you resolve it.

Thanks

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 22, 2021 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 1:44 PM

Welcome and pleased the issue was fixed. As for Trusted Applications to perform maintenance. There are none needed for macOS. It will perform any needed routines on its' own. Al long as the user only downloads and installed application from Reputable and Trusted Applications from either the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer and not via Third Party Sites. These Third Party Sites will often bundle Malware / Adware and you the user may not even be aware of the trickery adware / malware until it is too late. Should also mention - there are no Viruses that self replicate and effect macOS, so do not be tricked into investing 1 cent for this software either. It too will cause issues to the point of corrupting the OS and have to reinstall it again.

I closing - Welcome to the Apple Ecosystem and the Apple Support Community. These Forum are a good place to visit, read and participate even if only to read and learn and eventually assist others at some time.

Regards and safe computing

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 1:44 PM in response to jrychalski

Welcome and pleased the issue was fixed. As for Trusted Applications to perform maintenance. There are none needed for macOS. It will perform any needed routines on its' own. Al long as the user only downloads and installed application from Reputable and Trusted Applications from either the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer and not via Third Party Sites. These Third Party Sites will often bundle Malware / Adware and you the user may not even be aware of the trickery adware / malware until it is too late. Should also mention - there are no Viruses that self replicate and effect macOS, so do not be tricked into investing 1 cent for this software either. It too will cause issues to the point of corrupting the OS and have to reinstall it again.

I closing - Welcome to the Apple Ecosystem and the Apple Support Community. These Forum are a good place to visit, read and participate even if only to read and learn and eventually assist others at some time.

Regards and safe computing

May 22, 2021 1:52 PM in response to jrychalski

Firstly - remove the CleanMyMac X as per the Developers Instruction. This software will cause havoc, remove important elements of the OS and / or corrupt the OS to the point of having to Reinstall the OS.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/ is a Trust Application from a Trusted Developer and Respect Contributor to the ASC Community. It is free or Paid for added features. It should remove the Malware / Adware you are trying to remove by other - not good - means.

Yahoo has taken over as my search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.