Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to change the email address using @icloud.com but it won't let me

I'm trying to change my daughters apple ID but it won't let me use @icloud. What should I do if I want to use @icloud?

Posted on May 23, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 10:34 AM

From the article below.

If you can't change your Apple ID

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it. 

In some countries or regions, you can use your phone number as your Apple ID. But if your Apple ID is an email address, you can't change it to a phone number.

Apple ID Name Change.        

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 10:34 AM in response to elongmeyer

From the article below.

If you can't change your Apple ID

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.

If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it. 

In some countries or regions, you can use your phone number as your Apple ID. But if your Apple ID is an email address, you can't change it to a phone number.

Apple ID Name Change.        

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

I want to change the email address using @icloud.com but it won't let me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.