Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Apps on 3rd Gen Apple TV

I have a third generation Apple TV. The software is up to date. I still cannot find the App Store and cannot figure out how to download apps? Please help!

Posted on May 23, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 5:49 PM

A 3rd generation Apple TV does not have an App Store.

It uses server pushed channels. What you have access to is what you see on the home screen, unless something is hidden in Settings->Menu. There is no way to add channels to it.

3 replies

May 24, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you, Phil! Like I said I’ve updated the software, and I have searched the settings over and over looking at every single option and I can’t find anything. It genuinely makes no sense to me why Apple would make a product that doesn’t give the option to buy/get apple related things.

I definitely wish that they would pick up on how mundane this is and release an update to fix it!!

May 24, 2021 1:57 PM in response to itisjustmyname

The 3rd generation Apple TV was made years before the App Store for Apple TV even existed. Apple did not make it support apps because at the time it was made there were no Apps to support.

They made it support server pushed channels because that is what was available at the time.

The 3rd generation Apple TV is 9 years old at this point. It's not realistic to think 9 year old hardware can support the same things as brand new hardware.

Downloading Apps on 3rd Gen Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.