Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone (12 pro max) doesn't connect or charge with PC but it charges fine by the wall charger.

Hi,

I've been using my laptop's type C port to charge & transfer data between my iPhone and the laptop ever since I bought it. And it worked without any issues.

But now the iPhone doesn't show any response at all when I connect it. Nothing shows up in the device manager either. I tried restarting both devices. And I have tried everything on the support forum. no luck! :/

The iPhone charges fine with the wall charger by the same cable.

Diagnostics from iTunes while the iPhone is connected.

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPod service not found.

AppleMobileDeviceProcess 486.100.2.42 is currently running.

No Universal Serial Bus Controller found.

No FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controller found.

Most Recent Devices Not Currently Connected:

iPhone 12 Pro Max running firmware version 14.5.1

Posted on May 23, 2021 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 2:13 AM

Hi Judy,

I finally found a fix. Thought I should post it here in case someone else encounters it as well.

The problem was from the laptop's side. Due to some reason, the USB C port wasn't getting any power. So no connection was being established. The fix is :

- turn off the PC

- disconnect all cables

- press the power button 30 sec (to reset the USB-Cs - the PC will not turn on)

- connect charger and turn-on the PC normally

The iPhone can now connect & charge like before. This is all I did and it fixed the issue.

This is the article where I found the fix: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-C-port-suddenly-not-working/td-p/6151817/page/2

Thank you for trying to help 🤍

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 2:13 AM in response to judysings

Hi Judy,

I finally found a fix. Thought I should post it here in case someone else encounters it as well.

The problem was from the laptop's side. Due to some reason, the USB C port wasn't getting any power. So no connection was being established. The fix is :

- turn off the PC

- disconnect all cables

- press the power button 30 sec (to reset the USB-Cs - the PC will not turn on)

- connect charger and turn-on the PC normally

The iPhone can now connect & charge like before. This is all I did and it fixed the issue.

This is the article where I found the fix: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-C-port-suddenly-not-working/td-p/6151817/page/2

Thank you for trying to help 🤍

May 25, 2021 3:04 PM in response to sheryartahir

Hi sheryartahir,

Here are a few specific steps to try for the issue you are having with your iPhone not being recognized on your PC. Refer to the "If you use a Windows PC" section

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you still can't see your iPhone on your computer after trying these steps, you may need to reach out for help here. A technical advisor may be able to share your screen with you to try to get to the bottom of this.

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

May 24, 2021 4:57 PM in response to sheryartahir

Good afternoon sheryartahir,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like your Windows PC is not recognizing your iPhone 12 Pro Max. Since there was an update to iOS today (May 24, 2021), we would suggest ejecting the iPhone from the computer.

Check to see if there is an iTunes for Windows update for your computer and restart it to refresh after updating.

Update your iPhone to iOS 14.6 and restart it to refresh as well.

Then try connecting your iPhone to your PC again.

If the issue persists, please reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care.

My iPhone (12 pro max) doesn't connect or charge with PC but it charges fine by the wall charger.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.