Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smb server disconnect when copying files

Hi, I have begun to experience an issue after the latest update to Big Sur 11.3.1 where my mac disconnects from my work server when copying files or when opening/saving in different programs. On occasion, the connections last long enough to copy over files or to save what I am working on but more often than not the mac just disconnects from the server.

Initially, it connects with CMD+K but then I will get the spinning beachball and the finder will close or it will stay open only to close once I start copying files. I am connected over VPN and have selected use SMB in file sharing but the issue persists and is getting worse.

I still haven't found a fix to this and I would appreciate it if anyone has had a similar problem and has been able to resolve it. Thanks.

Posted on May 24, 2021 5:15 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 24, 2021 6:45 AM in response to a brody

Hi,

Thanks. I have been using this VPN for a year without issue, it only just began on the latest update. The VPN was updated around the same time. There is one other computer that uses a separate VPN but is on the same wi-fi without issue.

According to my IT, on their side, there is no issue with connection and they believe it is an SMB stability issue.

May 24, 2021 7:02 AM in response to jonordb

With any file sharing you are dealing with ports. And ports over corporate networks can have many rules set. If they believe there is SMB stability issues, they need to talk to an SMB networking expert to ensure that their firewall ports always allow those ports to be open as long as the proper authentication is granted.

May 24, 2021 7:16 AM in response to a brody

Hi,

This is from the IT team Unfortunately SMB connections are very unstable and problematic with regard to disconnects. I have checked the firewall and there are no disconnects on the firewall. They also did add that they are not sure that there’s more they can do to remedy this. I am working remotely and I am keen to resolve this if my IT support cannot address it as it is necessary for my job. Thanks.

smb server disconnect when copying files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.