Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.3.1 - Screen Saver will not select Mac Photos

Both 11.3.1 and previous OS will not display Mac "Photos" even though listed as a "Source" for Screen Saver. Just spend many hours scanning / sorting / dating photos into Photos for the sole purpose of sharing them to our TV for background. Catalina & Big Sur photos do display normally as alternate "Sources." Frustrating.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 24, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 1:30 PM

I don't think you can even pick it if it is not set, but look in Photos Preferences and make sure your PhotosLibrary is set as the System Library.

I use the Favorites function to create a subset. When I selected the entire Library, screen was black for a small amount of time while it generated the images to display. When I switched to just my Favorites, it started quicker, but that may just be that it had already run with the full library.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 1:30 PM in response to BoomerF16OG

I don't think you can even pick it if it is not set, but look in Photos Preferences and make sure your PhotosLibrary is set as the System Library.

I use the Favorites function to create a subset. When I selected the entire Library, screen was black for a small amount of time while it generated the images to display. When I switched to just my Favorites, it started quicker, but that may just be that it had already run with the full library.

Jun 3, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney, same Barney who from Hammer when I was doing OT?

Thanks for the reply. Only fix I that worked was yours. I pushed all the photos into an Album in "My Albums" which was a default called "All Photos Album". Screensaver was able to read this "Source" under "Albums > All Photos Album.

Much appreciated!

This does not fix the problem for Mac, it's a work around. Mac ought to investigate why "Photos" is not selectable as a screen saver "Source" option.

Big Sur 11.3.1 - Screen Saver will not select Mac Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.