Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD drive died - replacement?

The Superdrive in my MBP has just died. It won't accept DVDs or CD of any kind (it either makes a multipitched humming sound then ejects, or makes a worrying mechanical, knocking sound). I've tried some of the suggestions here: updating the system to the latest version, DVD lens cleaners, resetting the PRAM, but nothing will fix it.

I bought my MacBook Pro in December 2008 - it's out of its year's warranty (and I dont have AppleCare), but surely Apple products should last longer than 18 months!

What options do I have? Has anyone had Apple replace a DVD drive for free after the year's warranty is up?

MBP Late 2008, 15", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 6:52 PM

8 replies

Aug 2, 2010 1:22 PM in response to Matthew Denney

We are having big problems with these Matsushita UJ-???? drives at work.
Now my own Macbook Pro optical drive won't burn any DVDs, only CDs. It too, is a Matsushita.
I've just ordered a new samsung for £31 delivered from Lambdatek.

www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B148410

I don't know whether it will fit but we have fitted various non Matsushita ones at work, and it's just a case of unclipping the plastic front slot guide. LiteON and Optiarc seem better.
This time, I've gone for a Samsung.

Aug 21, 2010 3:59 PM in response to Big Red Barn

I had a problem of "cannot calibrate for media..." blah blah and assumed it was the drive just waring out as I had used it alot over the past 2 years (1000burns) so I took it to Apple shop in Touchwood (UK) and they replaced it (125 GBP later!!)

Got it back seemed to work when i burned 10 Movies a few days ago , but then got calls back the following day from several people saying many of them are jumping or just stop playing halfway through..
Is the new drive not calibrated properly ???

I noticed today on some forums that many other people had the same ORIGINAL error as me ....and that it is thought to be a firmware update error !! so possibly nothing was wrong with the old hardware. !!!

I will take it back this week. And get them to check the calibration .....?

Anyone got any tips , can I do anything?

DVD drive died - replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.