You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Backup - really necessary?

Hey everyone!

I have my iPhone and iPad backups on my iCloud for a few years now. What i find annoying is that the iPhone (12 mini/ iOS 14.5) backup is way to big with over 14 gb. Over the years it got somehow bigger and bigger. Now I had the thought to not use the iCloud iPhone backup and have a question before I decide to: what does the backup include?

Data for Calender, notes, contacts, messages etc. are separately synched through iCloud with my devices, same with photos. My files are on iCloud Drive, not on the internal iPhone storage. Most of my third party apps are not included in my iCloud backup (data saved on particular accounts, account’s login data saved in keychain), the few other apps also synch with iCloud separately, e.g. notability and tayasui sketches.

So what is “the rest”? What remains in the iCloud backup in my case? The only things I can think of right now are iPhone settings and app and widget organization on the Home Screen.

Apart from the fact that this stuff should not take 14 gb of storage, I guess I don’t need a backup since my content is backed up. In my understanding, without a iPhone iCloud backup, I would have to login with my Apple ID, download and arrange all apps on my own and go through the iPhone settings to get back to my up-to-date iPhone status after a problem. This would take like 30 minutes or so which I would be totally ok with.

Did I forget about something? Does this sound kind of reasonable? I would appreciate your comments and thoughts on it.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on May 24, 2021 11:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 8:21 AM

Here's just the support document for you!

What does iCloud back up? - https://support.apple.com/HT207428

Similar questions

1 reply

iPhone Backup - really necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.