Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes password

As far as I remember i never set a password for my locked notes, it used to open with my face id. Now it is asking for the old password. What am i to do? Please help out!

Posted on May 25, 2021 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 3:05 AM

If it used to open with a Face ID then it had a password linked to the Face ID.

There is a hint that was created by you for locked Notes, please use them. If you do not have one then please keep trying various passwords known to you.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

If you have imported some notes from Old iPhone to the new one then you will have to attach the password to the new Touch ID / Face ID on your new iPhone. At some given time you must have created a password and enabled touch Id / Face ID to the password. Any Notes created thereafter will only use your Touch ID / Face ID. Because of this, it is very likely that you may not recall the password now.

Face ID / Touch IDs are not transferable from one device to another.

Watch the 2 GIFs below about locked Notes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 3:05 AM in response to Hxleem

If it used to open with a Face ID then it had a password linked to the Face ID.

There is a hint that was created by you for locked Notes, please use them. If you do not have one then please keep trying various passwords known to you.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

If you have imported some notes from Old iPhone to the new one then you will have to attach the password to the new Touch ID / Face ID on your new iPhone. At some given time you must have created a password and enabled touch Id / Face ID to the password. Any Notes created thereafter will only use your Touch ID / Face ID. Because of this, it is very likely that you may not recall the password now.

Face ID / Touch IDs are not transferable from one device to another.

Watch the 2 GIFs below about locked Notes.

Notes password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.