Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine reindexing?

My Time Machine backups fail from time to time which means that upon restarting the backup it breaks all links to old backups. My external hard drive has plenty of room but it glitches now and again. Upon restarting the backup it has no "memory" of old backups that clearly are on the disk.

How can I reindex the hard drive so Time Machine sees these backups? I have tried everything I know including deleting the InProgress file.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 7:54 AM

Disable TM, rename the TM drive with simple name...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Setup TM again.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 7:54 AM in response to ThinkLLC

Disable TM, rename the TM drive with simple name...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Setup TM again.

Time Machine reindexing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.