Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur 11.4 download stuck

Hi there!

My macOS Big Sur 11.4 has been stuck on a certain download percentage (within the first third of my download) and just stays there. I've tried booting it up including downloading in safe mode - also have adequate storage space for the update too.

Anyone else having this issue or have a fix?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 25, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 10:41 AM

Hi itskellyturner,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Let see if we can help out and get your Mac updated to the latest macOS.

Trying in safe mode was a really good step. What about creating another admin user and try downloading and installing the update? To give that a try, see Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for details if needed.

Reach back out if you need us.

Take care!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 10:41 AM in response to itskellyturner

Hi itskellyturner,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Let see if we can help out and get your Mac updated to the latest macOS.

Trying in safe mode was a really good step. What about creating another admin user and try downloading and installing the update? To give that a try, see Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for details if needed.

Reach back out if you need us.

Take care!

May 26, 2021 2:16 PM in response to itskellyturner

This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer. Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal. Once Logged in - open Apple Apps Store and  Get the Full Version of Big Sur. It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes. Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur. Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup. If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer. Now run the Installer.

Have found this method more reliable than the Software Update which is very iffy at best

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Jun 8, 2021 10:39 AM in response to itskellyturner

Hi, I was having the same problem. The download would stop about 1/3 of the way through and then creep along estimating that days remained on the download. A reboot of the Mac mini did not solve the problem.

However, I disabled my pi-hole DNS and the entire update downloaded at a normal rate - fixing the problem. There must be an IP that the pi-hole list doesn't like.

macOS Big Sur 11.4 download stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.