Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I re-format my external drive without erasing the contents of my disk?

My LaCie 3 TB Backup Drive stopped backing up my LaCie 6 TB external drive. This happened a few days ago immediately after I had my iMac HD replaced by a 1 TB SSD and re-installing my OS. After doing some web research, I realized my 6 TB drive was formatted in Ex-FAT.

I read in an earlier post that Time Machine doesn't work with Ex-Fat. Can someone please tell me how I can re-format this drive without erasing my 1.72 TB contents, as I have nowhere to store this amount of data in the interim.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 1:56 PM

Journaling applies only to the 'Mac OS Extended' format, not to Ex-Fat. You will have to actually reformat the Ex-Fat disk to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled') and that process erases the disk. There is no way round that.

7 replies

May 25, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Spectral45

I just saw the following post:

"Kappy

User level: Level 10 (361,284 points). Desktops Speciality level out of ten: 1

Feb 6, 2010 12:43 PM in response to artmat55

Open Disk Utility, select your drive from the left side list, then click on the Enable Journaling icon in the toolbar. This will do what you want without losing anything."

"Enable Journaling" is greyed out. How do I turn it back on?

How can I re-format my external drive without erasing the contents of my disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.