You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update for 2014 Macbook Pro

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro Laptop, Mid 2014

I desperately need to update my software - I cannot download anything, speed is horrible and finding general issues including possible viruses etc

However, despite my computer telling me I need to update, whenever I try to go into Software Updates, there is no software update displayed. I try to search it, and nothing comes up and it tells me I am up to date. I have checked my memory and I should have plenty for an upgrade (approx 78GB left)

Is my laptop too old? It's only seven years old so I am a little surprised + dissapointed if this is the case.

Or is this a hardware issue? Thinking it might be cheaper and easier to just buy another laptop at this point.

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 26, 2021 11:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 7:44 AM

You haven't told us what OS you are running at the moment.

A 2014 MBP can upgrade to any of the available macOS's.

RAM should be 8GBs or over for the newer OS's.

If your mac is having problems now it is better to sort those issues out before you upgrade to a newer OS.

Upgrading the OS on your mac could exacerbate any problems you have now.

There are no viruses that attack the mac.

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are running.

Installing a newer OS is called an upgrade.

Which OS you can upgrade to will be governed by which model and year your mac is.

Click on the  top left of your screen click on About This Mac to find out the year of your mac.

For older OS’s,

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Check Compatibility to see if your mac qualifies for the OS upgrade you want.

Then go to the Download OS section and click on the OS you want to install.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 29, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Christiekhall

You haven't told us what OS you are running at the moment.

A 2014 MBP can upgrade to any of the available macOS's.

RAM should be 8GBs or over for the newer OS's.

If your mac is having problems now it is better to sort those issues out before you upgrade to a newer OS.

Upgrading the OS on your mac could exacerbate any problems you have now.

There are no viruses that attack the mac.

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are running.

Installing a newer OS is called an upgrade.

Which OS you can upgrade to will be governed by which model and year your mac is.

Click on the  top left of your screen click on About This Mac to find out the year of your mac.

For older OS’s,

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Check Compatibility to see if your mac qualifies for the OS upgrade you want.

Then go to the Download OS section and click on the OS you want to install.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

May 27, 2021 3:03 AM in response to Christiekhall

Perhaps one of the first things, would be to read the details

from inside your Mac; within 'About this Mac' Apple menu.

• Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201260

• Find the model and serial number of your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201581

Depending on the third party software you may have in your

Mac, and if there are suitable updates or upgrades for those.

You may need to consider not going past Mojave 10.14.6.. IF

the need to have third-party 32-bit software & drivers exists.

• 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Later - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Since you've not said what your Mac runs now, or why you

need a newer or newest supported macOS, here's official

source of downloadable installers from Apple servers.

Newest present macOS is Big Sur11.x. Some macs balk on

it; for various reasons. Hardware? Maybe a conflict exists.

• How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Rather unlikely any virus runs in your Mac. Adware, malware?

Maybe. ~ Perhaps something acquired in your Browser, likely.

May 28, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Christiekhall

I desperately need to update my software - I cannot download anything, speed is horrible and finding general issues including possible viruses etc

Best practice is to fix those issues BEFORE upgrading your macOS. Doing so with all those problems is asking for more and possible even worse trouble.

Is my laptop too old? It's only seven years old so I am a little surprised + dissapointed if this is the case.

Or is this a hardware issue? Thinking it might be cheaper and easier to just buy another laptop at this point.

I still get amazing service from a well-treated 2012 Macbook Pro so I would say that idea is, at minimum, a premature assumption.

We are handicapped here by having no capability to see or touch your computer. We must rely on details from you to help is such a venue. The symptoms you describe suggest an unneeded software issue, not a hardware problem.

See if you can answer these questions for us:

1) What Mac OS version is now running on your computer? Find by doing "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu:

2) Have you installed any anti-virus software? (you don't have a virus)

3) When did the computer last run in a manner you consider normal?

May 27, 2021 4:35 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hey thanks for the advice

After writing out this post I realised that perhaps it is the Big Sur software, which I attempted to install on app store.

But I received an ERROR box after trying to sign in to my apple ID. This ERROR doesn't seem to clear after any time.

Any help with this one either? :S

It hasn't let me even try to install this so I don't think its an error downloading this upgrade but I will look into whether this may not be compatible also.

Thanks again

May 28, 2021 6:02 PM in response to Christiekhall

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

May 31, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Allan Jones

1) Yosemite.

2) No, have not installed any anti virus software - this is because it seems to be more of a browser issue which I take may be fixed with upgrades though not sure. Any "virus" is only within my internet browsers not on the computer itself causing any other issues.

3) Normal - maybe 2 years ago. I have had these issues for a while and have decided to finally manage them.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Software update for 2014 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.