Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM cannot be detect

my MacBook Pro 2011

1 memory slots cannot detect RAM

when I move the RAM to the other slots it can work

Posted on May 28, 2021 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 3:49 AM

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

2 replies

May 28, 2021 10:35 AM in response to elvistiew

Many times the slot nearest the Bottom Case fails due to cracked solder joints on the memory slot, but I have also seen a few failures of the other slot nearest the Keyboard. If both RAM modules work in the one good slot, then most likely the memory slot is bad.

Also the memory in the slot nearest the Keyboard can pop loose when inserting the second module nearest the Bottom Case since they share a locking arm. If the issue is with the RAM in the slot nearest the Keyboard, then make sure to press on the outside edge of the RAM after inserting the second stick to make sure the first module is still latched into place.

Have you been using this memory for years or are you performing a memory upgrade? Are you using the original Apple memory or a third party upgrade? Macs can be very picky about the memory used so it is best to only use memory from Crucial or OWC (even then use only the exact part numbers suggested by using the tools on their respective websites).

RAM cannot be detect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.