Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Factor Authentication and Temporary Number when Traveling

Hi,

I'm traveling internationally and need a different SIM card to use when I get there. The number on the card will not work until I get there, but once there my own number (and therefore 2FA) won't work. So how can I add the temporary number as "trusted" and also add it as a "reachable at" number in Messages (and forward SMS) when, as far as Apple is concerned, I won't have my phone with me so can't prove I'm me?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted on May 28, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 5:58 PM

If you’re using an iPhone, the 2FA codes are not being sent to your telephone number anyway. They are being sent to your device via iCloud encrypted notifications, not SMS texts. That’s part of the point of NOT basing 2FA, by default, on SMS but on Apple’s own iCloud notification system. Codes are sent over a proprietary internet end-to-end encrypted system, not the cellular telephone SMS network.

As long as your iPhone is using your iCloud account, with your AppleID signed in, and has internet access (cellular data or WiFi) it will receive 2FA codes, anywhere on the planet and regardless of whatever telephone number you’re iPhone is using.

The trusted SMS capable telephone number(s) is a backup, not the primary nor default method of getting codes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 5:58 PM in response to JSCooper

If you’re using an iPhone, the 2FA codes are not being sent to your telephone number anyway. They are being sent to your device via iCloud encrypted notifications, not SMS texts. That’s part of the point of NOT basing 2FA, by default, on SMS but on Apple’s own iCloud notification system. Codes are sent over a proprietary internet end-to-end encrypted system, not the cellular telephone SMS network.

As long as your iPhone is using your iCloud account, with your AppleID signed in, and has internet access (cellular data or WiFi) it will receive 2FA codes, anywhere on the planet and regardless of whatever telephone number you’re iPhone is using.

The trusted SMS capable telephone number(s) is a backup, not the primary nor default method of getting codes.

May 29, 2021 4:40 PM in response to JSCooper

Thanks much for all this.

OK, so I land. I remove my non-working USA SIM card and put in the other one. Reboot my phone and now my phone should have data so can be contacted from Apple, so 2FA will work. Once that's done, I can add the temporary number as a "reachable at" number in Messages? Some people have my contact info as my AppleID and I'm sure some have only my phone number listed in their contacts list, so I assume those people won't be able to message me until I somehow link the temporary number to my account (or it'll come through as sms)? To put I more simply, if someone only has my phone # (not my appleID) and tries to contact me from an iPhone, will my apple account still send the message to my phone?

Thanks,

Jeff

Two Factor Authentication and Temporary Number when Traveling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.