Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I retain metadata on pictures when exporting?

I am SO unbelievable frustrated. For the longest time I have been trying to figure out how to export pictures from my iPhone/iCloud to an external hard drive. HOWEVER, anytime I try it, no matter what way I choose (click and drag, using the export button with different options selected, exporting from the iCloud photos website, etc) the metadata does not stay!!!! The dates the pictures were taken show up FINE in my phone/iCloud, however, as soon as I move the picture, the dates reset to the current date or close to.

I talked to Apple and they said there is no way to retain the meta data and if I wanted to, I could edit each photo's data individually. I have 30 GB of pictures... I won't be doing that.

I had to buy extra storage on my iCloud because I haven't yet found a successful way to get my pictures off of it.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but this may push me away from Apple. If I'm not able to download my pictures, and keep the dates they were taken in the file, I'm almost tempted to go with an android for my next phone. Dated pictures are SO important, especially when you have growing kids!! :'(((((

Help me get my information??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 28, 2021 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:11 AM

I’ve done all that too… I guess I was just trying another way with airdrop.

in the end, I had to erase my phone, then load in all my original pictures from the iCloud onto my phone (which I couldn’t do when my phone has other stuff on it because there’s no room). I then was able to take my phone, connect it to a WINDOWS computer, and open the pictures in file explorer. They were all properly dated and sorted. I then connected my hard drive, and transferred about half the pictures over. They all retained their dates. This tells me 100% that the iCloud is the issue. I honestly think it’s apples way of keeping you stuck paying for space. I was at the point I needed more space and they basically told me there was nothing they could do for me and that I’d just have to lose the date data.

it seems dramatic , but I’ll be getting an Android next.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 7:11 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I’ve done all that too… I guess I was just trying another way with airdrop.

in the end, I had to erase my phone, then load in all my original pictures from the iCloud onto my phone (which I couldn’t do when my phone has other stuff on it because there’s no room). I then was able to take my phone, connect it to a WINDOWS computer, and open the pictures in file explorer. They were all properly dated and sorted. I then connected my hard drive, and transferred about half the pictures over. They all retained their dates. This tells me 100% that the iCloud is the issue. I honestly think it’s apples way of keeping you stuck paying for space. I was at the point I needed more space and they basically told me there was nothing they could do for me and that I’d just have to lose the date data.

it seems dramatic , but I’ll be getting an Android next.

May 29, 2021 1:34 PM in response to LizJR24

Hi

Air drop is not a drag drop from one storage to another (as you described, I assume using finder in which you said the data was changed)

The details on your computer are showing file system dates (created modified opened).

The exif data doesn't show any creation date at all. It's possible the air drop process stripped it out. (air drop is a simultaneous export from phone photos app, and transfer via wife - who knows what that is doing. I don't use air drop - perhaps this is the reason 🙂. Have a look also in the TIFF tab there may be a capture date in there that is correct.

Other data is also showing file system data, not exif data (not surprising as the date is not in the exif.

You say everything is in iCloud and you want to get it out. By far the best way of doing this is to sync to your mac using icloud.

If you create a new empty library, set it to be the system library, and turn on iCloud photos, it will download everything you have in iCloud to this new library. Image capture dates will be transferred. You can then export everything from that library using the photos app file>export - or better file>export unmodified originals - then you will have all the images from iCloud in any folder you want, complete with image capture dates in the exif.

If you don't have enough space on your mac, you might need to create this on an external drive (formatted APFS or MacOS extended)

Step by step:

Hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". Name it somthing.photoslibrary, and locate it in your pictures folder.

Then open the new library - go into photos preferences (general tab), and click "use as system photos library"

Finally in photos preferences iCloud tab, set it up as the final screenshot. (You need to have enough space on your mac to download all the photos from iCloud)

May 29, 2021 1:02 AM in response to LizJR24

Hang on - are you exporting directly from the phone?

Or do you have pictures downloaded from the phone to the mac (via iCloud). Then exporting from the Photos app on the mac? How are you exporting? Drag/drop, or file>export? Have you checked the image capture date in the photos app before the export? If the latter, here is what I see:

Image in Photos with info pane open...

Exported image data viewed in finder columns view

Image opened in preview, inspector, exif data

May 28, 2021 3:31 PM in response to LizJR24

Are you mixing up file creation date with image metadata?

You need to distinguish between the file metatdata (information about the file) and the image metadata (information about the image in the file)

If you copy a file the copies creation date will normally be set to the date the file was copied. The image metadata inside the file (which you can view in preview with the inspector window, iptc tab) will show the image capture date.

Summary:

The File metadata is kept in the file system, and represents when that copy of the file is created or modified

The image metadata is kept inside the file, as exif and IPTC data. This won't change when you copy / move the file.

(Depending on your system version, if you export unmodified original from photos, you will usually get a file with the same creation date as the image)

You can also see the two different dates in finder, as shown in the screenshot with finder in column view. This is from an image I exported from photos in july 2019 - so the file has been created and last modified then, but the content creation date is still showing 2011.

May 28, 2021 4:44 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Unfortunately no... it's the creation date that changes. It's so bizarre because there HAS to be a way to keep it. I know I'm looking at the right field, because after I export it, I open it in Preview and go to inspect it, at click the EXIF data. I honestly have been on and off working on this for years. I would love to cancel my iCloud subscription, but I can't get my pictures off of it to reduce the size :(

May 29, 2021 6:34 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I have tried it all. I have downloaded them to my phone (wouldn’t take all of them due to the gb amount) but I then airdropped to my Mac. The dates changed.

I tried from my Mac, in photo library and clicking export (using all the different options) and I can get the information to stay when the picture is on the desktop but as soon as I click and drag it to my hard drive, the information. Changes. (I’m talking the EXIF data, not the file data).

I have tried downloading the full versions from the cloud to my Mac and clicking and dragging.

I have tried going through the iCloud website and exporting from there. The dates change for some, not for others. Which I can’t use since I want all of them to stay the correct date.

May 29, 2021 2:26 PM in response to LizJR24

I have always been able to move pictures from Photos on my MacBook air to my iMac and preserve the metadata such as captions, title and key words. Not now. My pictures only retain the date and location taken. This is huge step backward as I travel and use my laptop for photography and then transfer the annotated pictures to my iMac. This seems to have occurred after operating system upgrades since last year. MacBook air uses Big Sur 11.3.1 and iMac uses Catalina 10.15.7. Interestingly, Photos transferred from my MacBook air to Lightroom Classic on my iMac and kept all the metadata. Interested to know if anyone has found a way to transfer the metadata from one machine to the other using photos?

May 29, 2021 2:57 PM in response to gcrva

@gcrva - this is a specific bug with Big Sur. The workaround is to export in PNG format which does contain the metadata (if selected in the export pane), then (if needed) convert to jpg external from photos.

Alternatively to transfer between machines, you can use iCloud photos and sync all the machines together. Metadata is then transferred.

How do I retain metadata on pictures when exporting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.