Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.5.1 Voice Control

After updating to 14.5.1 the Voice Control feature repeatedly opens, seemingly at random, although I notice it most when using the audiobook app Libby.

Voice Control opens while listening to an audiobook even when the iPhone lies on a flat surface, so I don't think I'm accidentally launching app.

iPhone 8

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on May 28, 2021 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 4:57 AM

ManJor,

Thanks for the reply and request for more information.

The feature that seems to be involved is in the Accessibility control systems, not Siri, Text to Speech, or other program.

I tend to use my phone to listen to music with iTunes and audiobooks with Libby.

I only recently signed up for the Family iTunes service. I am unfamiliar with the features. I had not realized that I had turned on the "download song when adding song to playlist" option. Turns out I had filled my drive with music files.

I think my phone was acting up because I had no memory left for a swap file (or whatever the iOS equivalent might be.) Anyway, I turned off the option, deleted the media files, and restarted the phone.

The Voice Control program hasn't acted up since then.

I think that solved the problem. Thanks for your interest.

Doc

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 4:57 AM in response to ManJor

ManJor,

Thanks for the reply and request for more information.

The feature that seems to be involved is in the Accessibility control systems, not Siri, Text to Speech, or other program.

I tend to use my phone to listen to music with iTunes and audiobooks with Libby.

I only recently signed up for the Family iTunes service. I am unfamiliar with the features. I had not realized that I had turned on the "download song when adding song to playlist" option. Turns out I had filled my drive with music files.

I think my phone was acting up because I had no memory left for a swap file (or whatever the iOS equivalent might be.) Anyway, I turned off the option, deleted the media files, and restarted the phone.

The Voice Control program hasn't acted up since then.

I think that solved the problem. Thanks for your interest.

Doc

May 29, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Movingwater

Hi, Movingwater, and thanks for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you're having issues with voice control functions starting up unintentionally. We'll be glad to look into this with you further.

To begin, could you provide some more details on which specific feature is being activated? Is it Siri, text to speech, or some other function?

Cheers!

May 29, 2021 1:26 PM in response to Movingwater

There are two types of Voice Control on your iPhone. The first uses basic voice commands and is activated by holding the Home button or Side button (iPhone X and later). To disable Voice Control, open Settings > Accessibility > Home/Side Button. Tap Off, or Siri, to prevent Voice Control from being activated again.

iOS 13 introduced a new type of Voice Control, allowing users to control their iPhone, perform actions, and open apps with their voice. If this is enabled by accident, disable it by going to Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control and tap the green toggle at the top.

iOS 14.5.1 Voice Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.