Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Big Sur 11.1 reverts to minimal size of open/save Sidebar

How to change it to a normal size similar to Finder Sidebar view?

Was this simply an ergonomic oversight when releasing the product?

Looking forward to the fix...

Posted on May 28, 2021 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 1:09 PM

SOLUTION:

1. The solution is application-specific. Once you set a Save-As window-size in one app, it will hold in it but you would have to do it in the other apps separately (Word, Acrobat, etc.);
  2. The trick is to FIRST Resize your window to a larger size. SECOND, move the slider to your preference - to see all your folders names for example:
  3. Once you have resize the sidebar, you can resize back your Save As window size:

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 1:09 PM in response to wjpjr

SOLUTION:

1. The solution is application-specific. Once you set a Save-As window-size in one app, it will hold in it but you would have to do it in the other apps separately (Word, Acrobat, etc.);
  2. The trick is to FIRST Resize your window to a larger size. SECOND, move the slider to your preference - to see all your folders names for example:
  3. Once you have resize the sidebar, you can resize back your Save As window size:

May 29, 2021 2:46 PM in response to dplessard

Hi dplessard,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with your Sidebar. You might want to see What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur. If it is not a part of a Big Sur update, check out the section "Customize the sidebar" in Customize the Finder toolbars on Mac.

Learn how to Make it easier to see what’s on the screen of your Mac here. Check out this resource and let us know if that helps!

Cheers!

May 29, 2021 6:23 PM in response to wjpjr

Sad to report, neither the general info on Big Sur nor the "regression bug" comment and suggestion to upgrade offered a real solution. The issue remains, unless there is a new setting hidden somewhere to check or uncheck.

It is not possible to widen the left pane of the Save As box. Therefore, the arborescence is limited to 7 characters !!!

As stated in a public forum, it reminds us of MS Windows...

May 30, 2021 8:37 AM in response to dplessard

The FIX was updating to 11.3 & 11.3.1 as stated. Version 11.4 still has those fixes in place. If you are on one of those versions and are still seeing the resizing issue(s) then you have something else going on with your installation that's masking the fix. There's no magic or hack that will solve your issue as far as I'm concerned other than either updating to the current macOS version or reinstalling. I experienced the issue and upgrading resolved both issues for me.

Jun 10, 2021 12:03 PM in response to dplessard

Then I guess there is something wrong with your system. Contact Apple Care support and/or file a feedback assistant report. I’m sorry you are still having the issue. There are many reports other than mine that report both issues were fixed in macOS 11.3 & 11.3.1 (both required) or 11.4 which contains both fixes. You are looking for steps that don’t exist other than the upgrade. Consider a reinstall. Also get an attitude adjustment. I’m not trying to give you hard time but provide you the solution that fixes the issues.

FB8954218 was filed by me on December 27, 2020 listing both issues against version 11.1. I updated it on February 16, 2021 indicating a partial fix with version 11.2 which was the open/save size fix and again on February 19, 2021 against version 11.3 ßetas to indicate the small sidebar issue was still present. Please reference FB8954218 in your report if you choose to file one. Have a great day!

OSX Big Sur 11.1 reverts to minimal size of open/save Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.