Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop inappropriate ads

How to do I stop ads like zombie apps to stop appearing in my son’s ipad? I set the Content Restrictions —> Apps to 4+ years old but it still showed inappropriate ads for games that is for older ages. I checked, State of Survival Walking Dead app is rated for 17+ years old. But it still appears in my son’s iPad.

Posted on May 28, 2021 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 9:05 PM

I think I’m not being clear with my intentions. I don’t intend to stop the ads from appearing and prevent apps from earning money. My issue is application ads with sensual characters or zombie apocalypse settings are appearing in a game that is rated as 4+ years old app. This ad behavior does not comply with the parental controls set in the device. What’s more concerning is that ads now are interactive. I don’t want my kid to interact with these sensual characters or start learning how to use guns to kill zombies. There are a lot of 4+ year old apps out there with ads. I think the ads displayed in the kid applications should be rated the same as the app used to display those ads. I’m merely asking if there is a setting that I can configure or an app that I can capitalize to protect my kid from these inappropriate ads.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 9:05 PM in response to babowa

I think I’m not being clear with my intentions. I don’t intend to stop the ads from appearing and prevent apps from earning money. My issue is application ads with sensual characters or zombie apocalypse settings are appearing in a game that is rated as 4+ years old app. This ad behavior does not comply with the parental controls set in the device. What’s more concerning is that ads now are interactive. I don’t want my kid to interact with these sensual characters or start learning how to use guns to kill zombies. There are a lot of 4+ year old apps out there with ads. I think the ads displayed in the kid applications should be rated the same as the app used to display those ads. I’m merely asking if there is a setting that I can configure or an app that I can capitalize to protect my kid from these inappropriate ads.

Jun 4, 2021 10:44 AM in response to MicSantos05

MicSantos05 Said:

"How to stop inappropriate ads: [...]Maybe this is an item for improvement for Apple’s Parental Control.

———-

Provide Apple Feedback:

Do you Part: If it is just not working, as desired, then provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know how you think Ads should be managed on an iPad.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPad - Apple
  2. Select: Feature Request
  3. Comment: on why you think this should be added to Parental Controls
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

May 29, 2021 8:57 PM in response to MicSantos05

MicSantos05 Said:

"How to stop inappropriate ads: How to do I stop ads like zombie apps to stop appearing in my son’s ipad? [...]The inappropriate ad is displaying in between game sessions while my son is using a free app.[...]"

-------

Malwarebytes Mobile Securit‪y:

Try using Malwarebytes Mobile Security. You can get it in the App Storehttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/malwarebytes-mobile-security/id1327105431. Click on "iPad" to view the specs.

About the Versions:

The free version helps filter junk like this. The pay version isn't required, but, with it you can report such messages to Malwarebytes so that they can know what is going on. I use it, and it works like a charm.

May 30, 2021 8:38 AM in response to MicSantos05

Most "free" apps include advertising - since they are free, that is how they hope to make money (by you clicking on/buying it). Until they ban advertising, there is nothing you can do to stop that except not to download/play free games. That cannot be controlled. I play only one card game and have tried all of its available free versions (lots of developers of various versions of Solitaire), but there is no way to stop the ads except wait 5 seconds and stop it. Or I can pay for a game and be ad free. That is the price you pay for "free" games.

Marketing and advertising is big business. And no OS can stop the advertising coded into a third party app.

May 29, 2021 2:56 PM in response to MicSantos05

Hello MicSantos05,

It sounds like you are looking to certain ads from appearing on your son's iPad. We can certainly understand why you would want certain content blocked from his view. We'd like to help.

Setting age restrictions for apps in Screen Time > Content Restrictions will prevent anyone from downloading age-inappropriate apps, however, it does not block those apps from appearing in the App Store. Some advertisements may not be able to be blocked depending on which apps is being used when you see them. Where exactly are you seeing the ads you want blocked?

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

May 30, 2021 9:15 PM in response to MicSantos05

MicSantos05 Said:

"How to stop inappropriate ads: I think I’m not being clear with my intentions. I don’t intend to stop the ads from appearing and prevent apps from earning money. My issue is application ads with sensual characters or zombie apocalypse settings are appearing in a game that is rated as 4+ years old app. This ad behavior does not comply with the parental controls set in the device.[...]"

-------

Thank you for Clarifying.

Contact the Developer:

Contact the developer, providing them with feedback. Find their contact information in the app's site in the App Store. Leave them with feedback, and ask them if this can be avoided somehow.

Hide the App:

If you don't want them to use it, then remove it from the device. Go Here: Hide Purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

May 30, 2021 9:17 PM in response to MicSantos05

There are a lot of 4+ year old apps out there with ads. I think the ads displayed in the kid applications should be rated the same as the app used to display those ads.

I do not think there is any setting that can or will eliminate the ads.

I am only guessing, but I believe you would need to contact regulatory agencies if you wanted to get the requirements that ads are rated the same as the game to be changed.

Jun 4, 2021 10:59 AM in response to MicSantos05

I do not believe that you can legally dictate any company as to what kind of advertising they can or want to include (unless it violates a federal law). Apple certainly would not be able to do that.

You can avoid ads by paying for apps and/or only download or use apps that do NOT have advertising. If you insist on "free" apps, then you will get advertising.

Solution: Do not download free apps - instead, pay for them.

How to stop inappropriate ads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.