Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old MacBook pro mouse isn't working

The cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Any ideas?

Posted on May 28, 2021 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 8:24 PM

Katie1959 Said:

"Old MacBook pro mouse isn't working: The cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Any ideas?"

-------

Try The Following:

A. Restart the Mac:

What happens when you restart the Mac? Does that fix it?

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

There may be some system caches that need to be reset. So, upon your next boot, hold down the shift key. Then, log in, seeing if you still get this error. Once logged in, try starting the Mac, logging in normally. In Safe Mode, setting that may have become manipulated(technically), are reset.

C. Reset SMC and NVRAM with Plug-in Keyboard:

1. Shutdown: your iMac
  2. Unplug: All Items
  3. Plug In: External Keyboard
  4. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. It might take up to three times to reset each, so be certain you have the time to reset them.

D. Single Out this Mouse:

Does this happen with other mouses that you have? If so, then it is an issue with the setting on your Mac. If not, it may be the mouse itself giving you all the issue. So, if you have a second Mouse to use, try that mouse as well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 8:24 PM in response to Katie1959

Katie1959 Said:

"Old MacBook pro mouse isn't working: The cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Any ideas?"

-------

Try The Following:

A. Restart the Mac:

What happens when you restart the Mac? Does that fix it?

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

There may be some system caches that need to be reset. So, upon your next boot, hold down the shift key. Then, log in, seeing if you still get this error. Once logged in, try starting the Mac, logging in normally. In Safe Mode, setting that may have become manipulated(technically), are reset.

C. Reset SMC and NVRAM with Plug-in Keyboard:

1. Shutdown: your iMac
  2. Unplug: All Items
  3. Plug In: External Keyboard
  4. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. It might take up to three times to reset each, so be certain you have the time to reset them.

D. Single Out this Mouse:

Does this happen with other mouses that you have? If so, then it is an issue with the setting on your Mac. If not, it may be the mouse itself giving you all the issue. So, if you have a second Mouse to use, try that mouse as well.

Old MacBook pro mouse isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.