Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get an attachment to be an attached and not imbedded in the text?

How to I ATTACH an e-mail (jpeg) without it being embedded in the text.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 29, 2021 5:16 PM

6 replies

May 29, 2021 5:55 PM in response to glkent

glkent wrote:

How to I ATTACH an e-mail (jpeg) without it being embedded in the text.

Compress the document/picture/folder before you attach it. Only in this way can you assure both you and the recipient receive it as "ATTACH"

Control click>Compress

Add attachments to emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

May 29, 2021 6:45 PM in response to glkent

All non-text is an attachment. Apple adds the “inline” directive to all attachments. The “inline” directive is not mandatory nor does it imply anything other than put the attachment between this text and that. It doesn’t imply that the attachment be impossible to extricate from the message as Outlook tends to do. You should suggest that your recipients use an email standards compliant email client that actually handles email as it should.

May 29, 2021 6:58 PM in response to glkent

glkent wrote:

What e-mail client would that be? I have use Outlook for years, but CCI has messed it up. If I am going to start over would like some suggestions. (Mail is somewhat lame).

This is a user-to-user support forum for Apple products. I have no idea what CCI is or what impacts it could have on Outlook. I suggest you ask in the Microsoft Outlook forums: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/ct-p/Outlook

We could certainly help with Apple Mail if you have specific questions about it.

I did discover today that if it is a jpeg file with several pages it is it is attached.

All attachments are "attached". If Mail thinks your attachment is "image-like", that is, an image or single-page PDF, it assumes you want to see it inline. The only difference is a single line in the e-mail that says either "inline" or "attached". Everything else is identical. A standards-compliant e-mail client should display the e-mail as you sent it, but there is no restriction on how an inline image can be handled. Or at least, if there are any differences or restrictions, that is entirely the fault of the client software used by the recipient.

How do I get an attachment to be an attached and not imbedded in the text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.