Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect a monitor to macbook pro

I need help connecting a monitor to my macbook pro

Posted on May 30, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 10:18 AM

Your 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro has 4 Thunderbolt-3 (Also known as USB-C) ports available on it. You, therefore, have to make a connection from the USB-C port of your MacBook Pro to one of the available ports on your external display. You will have to check which input ports are available on your external display. (You did not mention which make and model is your external display).

Most external displays have at least one HDMI port for input. Some have multiple input ports available, such as a USB-C port, a Mini Display port and/or a HDMI port. Figure out what you have on the external display and then you will have to get a cable and possible an adapter to make the connection. Your connection will be from the output port of your MacBook Pro (USB-C) to the input port of your external display (depending on which port(s) is/are available).

Can you tell us which make and model external display do you have? Thanks.

Axel F.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 10:18 AM in response to waltervohn

Your 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro has 4 Thunderbolt-3 (Also known as USB-C) ports available on it. You, therefore, have to make a connection from the USB-C port of your MacBook Pro to one of the available ports on your external display. You will have to check which input ports are available on your external display. (You did not mention which make and model is your external display).

Most external displays have at least one HDMI port for input. Some have multiple input ports available, such as a USB-C port, a Mini Display port and/or a HDMI port. Figure out what you have on the external display and then you will have to get a cable and possible an adapter to make the connection. Your connection will be from the output port of your MacBook Pro (USB-C) to the input port of your external display (depending on which port(s) is/are available).

Can you tell us which make and model external display do you have? Thanks.

Axel F.

May 30, 2021 11:29 AM in response to waltervohn

The fundamental way this works in a Mac is that you connect an appropriate cable, your Mac queries the display about its capabilities, and everything is set up for you automatically. No additional Drivers. No additional settings.

All you need to do is provide an appropriate cable that makes the conversion from computer output to display input in at most ONE adapter. 'Stacking" adapters is not supported.

May 30, 2021 12:42 PM in response to Axel Foley

My external monitor is AOC I1659FWUX 15.6in USB-Powered Portable Monitor, Full HD 1920x1080 IPS,. I used an adapter to connect the USB to Mac USB-C. When I connect the cable, the external turns on quickly for a couple seconds then it turns off. There is no display of the AOC external monitor on Mac display when cable is connected. Thank you for your help.

how to connect a monitor to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.