Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scp and rsync crashed remote iMac

My office iMac has macOS Mojave version 10.14.6. It automatically updated on 05/29/2021 with the latest release (10.14.6 security update 2021-004 I think). When I tried to fetch some files from the iMac using scp or rsync commands at home on my MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina version 10.15.7) or workstation (Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS), terminals did not respond. All trials of connections to the iMac then failed. The office iMac froze and a reboot was required. Note that remote login via ssh does not create this problem. Only rsync and scp do.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 30, 2021 8:15 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 30, 2021 1:27 PM in response to UMDCatPeople

If your company put anti-virus and/or enterprise management software on the Mac, then there is a strong possibility that is the root of your problem.

I have a company Mac, where the put McAfee and Workspace ONE on it. 90% of the problems company wide are caused but this, and about a 50% loss in performance.

A/V firewalls can block connections and break ssh connections.

Here is a different thought. If your Terminal shell initialization scripts echo/print stuff to stdout while you are logging in, that will totally screw up scp and rsync data transfers.

We have had a lot of problems with that in my group, where we us ssh, scp, rsync a lot.

scp and rsync crashed remote iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.