Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PCI USB Card Blue and White G3, but not G4?

I have a PCI USB card that works in a blue and white G3 running OS X 10.4.8 but wont work in a G4 running OS X 10.5.8.

I stumbled across an article that talked about the PCI cards onboard controller and how thats inter-fearing with the G4's onboard USB controller?

Any help would be appreciated.

MDD G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 2:23 AM

9 replies

Aug 1, 2010 4:33 AM in response to hUstlr

Remove the card, go over the gold contacts (both sides) with a pencil eraser to get them clean and remove any residue from manufaturing. Also clean inside the G4 at the slots. Then re-seat the card firmly, screwing it in helps.

Then reset the PRAM.

Not sure about the last bit, but I had identical issues with a set of Belkin 5 port USB2 cards I bought fir all my G4's. The first time I inserted the cards, 1 worked, 1 KP'd and 2 didn't see it. Things got desperate after 2 days with the 3 that didn't work (but I knew it would be fine eventually as 1 did work), and resetting PRAM was a desperate measure. Somehow the card was identified after the boot completed.
I had to reinstall the OS (which is what I should have done anyway) on the one with KP's.

See here for info on resetting PRAM and NVRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Last 2 things I can remember:
-- removing and reseating the card a few times miht have been all that was needed, just to get through any residue on the contacts on card and in the Mac, and
-- the slot the USB card goes into may be important., I tried all slots, but the success for all came with the first slot - nearest the AGP graphics slot. Now I remember reading that somewhere too, which made me try it. One of my G4 Macs had a Wireless N card already in the first slot, I had to remove it to get the USB card in, then put the wireless card in the next slot.

Let us know what you try, and what happens with each attempt. All my efforts were in OSX 10.3 and OSX 10.4.

Aug 1, 2010 6:19 AM in response to hUstlr

Most people with Macs have better success with USB cards carrying the NEC chipset (vendor ID 0x1033). The code 0x1045 identifies yours are having the less desirable OPTI chipset. Some Belkins have NEC--I've seen then in retail see-through packaging where you could read "NEC" screened onto the largest chip.

It's probably best to review japamac's All Things PPC pages on the subject. The USB card part starts here:

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/JapamacsPage/PCICards.html

Be sure to continue to the additional info linked as the end of the section "USB 2.0 PCI cards." The extended info has makes of "known-good" cards.

Aug 1, 2010 6:57 AM in response to hUstlr

Well, I should have checked this earlier but it seems console is reporting an error:

8/1/10 8:55:21 AM kernel USBF: 154. 11 [0x3247300] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 2 of hub @ location: 0x15000000)

I think im going to try to pull some tiger extensions and replace some leopard ones.

Aug 4, 2010 9:12 AM in response to hUstlr

This is still really odd. One thing i noticed is that on the Belkin USB PCI card theirs an Optilink chip. The Blue and White G3 has an OptiLink chip also but my MDD G4 does not.

Something is strange though. I put the card into my MDD G4 and USB devices i plug into it can get power but they wont work. A USB External HD wont mount, my iPod wont show up in iTunes or the Desktop etc...

Even more strange is that under the system profiler app in the MDD running 10.5 the PCI Device has all the same Vendor ID, Device ID, Subsystem Vendor ID, Subsystem ID, and Revision ID as it does on the Blue and White G3 running 10.3 where everything works fine.

Aug 5, 2010 10:12 AM in response to hUstlr

Which Belkin card is it ? I got a good price on a pack of 4 Belkin 5-port USB2 PCI cards. All worked perfectly eventually, after doing the things I described above. One in an MDD, one in a QuickSilver 2002, one in a Dual 500 GigaBit Ethernet and one in a Dual 533 Digial Audio.

I tested them all in OSX 10.3.9 connecting my Nikon D3 and D300 to transfer pics from the card. It worked, but it wasn't as fast as I expected. Still got about 10MB/s (about 3 3.5MB pics per second). When I connect to my G5 (native USB2), it's about 7 or 8 pics per second, when I connect to my Mac Pro, it's too fast to count.

PCI USB Card Blue and White G3, but not G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.